Tamedia is the leading private media group in Switzerland. The company was founded in 1893 and today employs a staff of approximately 3,400 in Switzerland, Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Israel, Luxembourg and Serbia. It has been traded at the Swiss stock exchange since 2000.
Tamedia is the shareholder of some of Switzerland's most well known Digital Brands, including 20min, JobCloud (jobs.ch), Homegate, Tutti, Ricardo, Doodle or Zattoo. The combined audience on web and mobile represents almost 50% of the measured Internet traffic in Switzerland. As such Tamedia plays an active role in supporting and guiding these companies to further success. We are a small team of veteran software engineers, providing consulting, services and systems across the Tamedia group. We report directly to the Group CTO, where we are responsible for setting the strategic direction for technology at Tamedia. This includes building and maintaining centralized, highly available and mission critical services for some of the biggest mobile and web audiences in Switzerland and also involves building and coaching of great engineering teams. Our main office is located in Zürich, with an Engineering Center in Belgrade.
In Tamedia’s Core Engineering team you work on the most demanding group-wide tech-projects and consult the large Tamedia portfolio in engineering and tech management projects. You are part of a small team of veteran engineering leads, facing challenging projects and solving hard problems connected to delivering high quality products within the largest cluster of successful Swiss digital companies. Your leadership and interpersonal skills will be just as important as your planning and technical skills.
What you'll do:
- Lead projects with a major impact across the Tamedia group, used by millions of users every day
- Consult with and support Tamedia group companies to help them overcome engineering, product and leadership challenges and grow into more mature organisations
- Support Tamedia Ventures in due diligence activities, as we explore investment opportunities
- Participate in organising activities that build a “digital culture” at Tamedia, such as the annual TX Conference, hackdays, education initiatives and similar
- Incubate new ideas and innovation by building prototypes and proof-of-concepts
- Work in a highly experienced team that favors hands-on over indirect action
- Dive into difficult problems and successfully deliver results on schedule
We are looking for:
- At least 10+ years of experience building, scaling and maintaining production systems
- Deep understanding of the full software and product development lifecycle, from UX and design through to deployment into production and phase-out
- Experience working on B2C platforms with large user bases (where “large” is proportional to the population of Switzerland)
- Development experience in backend, frontend and mobile (or at least 2 of 3)
- Professional experience working with multiple programming languages
- Experience with the range of typical backend systems such a all kinds of datastores, queues, search engines and similar
- Familiarity with cloud environments such as AWS and Google Cloud
- Strong experience in SOA environments, APIs, services, architectures
- Experience with containers, Kubernetes, continuous deployment and testing
- Excellent communication skills - f2f, documentation, presentations and conference-calls
- Team leadership and management experience. Alternatively examples of where you played a leading role on a project where multiple engineers were involved.
- A degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- Fluent in English, solid written and spoken German
- A healthy aversion to deploying on Fridays or after 16:00
- A natural instinct to avoid listening to Phil Collins
What you can expect from us:
- Very strong and dedicated engineering team as your peers.
- We value personal improvement and support you in expanding your knowledge with courses and conferences
- A thriving engineering culture with hackdays, conferences, 3D printers, soldering stations and an always open ear to leftfield ideas.
- Modern workplace with the best tools money can buy in downtown Zürich.
- On-site canteen with plentiful selection of fresh food and salad. And Currywurst.
- Travel opportunities to our offices around Europe (e.g. Engineering Center in Belgrade) .
We do not accept unsolicited CVs from Third Party Agencies.