The Ontario Digital Service (ODS) is tackling complex public problems with digital approaches. We are building a people-centred approach to the design and delivery of government services, programs and policy.
The ODS is improving the online experience for Ontarians by redesigning the most important government services for the digital age. We own and support a growing number of public facing internet-era products, including web content management, web publishing, online public consultations, open data catalogue and visualization, laws repository, location and mapping, search, API and more.
What You’ll be doing
- Your leadership in the development and implementation of cost effective web technology solutions and services will improve the lives of the people of Ontario.
- Your expertise in systems development and programming related to open source web technology solutions will ensure our solutions are available anytime, anywhere.
- You are a champion for the development and implementation of forward thinking standards and technologies to transform the online experience for Ontarians interacting with government.
- Working with a high-impact team, you will be constantly learning new technologies and techniques through research, experimentation and from your exceptional colleagues.
What you bring to the team
You think digital by default and embrace new ideas that put users first to find the best solutions.
You believe diversity and inclusion helps create the best conditions for people to achieve the best results, knowing the best ideas come from everywhere and everyone.
We are looking for someone who is solution-oriented, and knows how to get the job done.
Requirements of the job:
- You have experience in integrating systems and components using Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA).
- You have advanced knowledge of theory and principles of systems design and development to provide leadership in the design, development, testing and implementation of systems solutions.
- You are well versed in, and have experience applying industry best practices to your work that can be adopted by others.
- You can provide leadership in researching best practices to establish and maintain high standards for products.
- You have experience leading large scale, complex projects and initiatives with high levels of autonomy.
- You have experience providing leadership, and guiding the work of team members/colleagues, for example, training, mentoring and supporting the development of others.
- You have strong communications skills to participate in team discussions, make solution recommendations and document/explain work.
- You have the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, to sell your ideas to colleagues, both technical and non-technical.
- You have familiarity with code version control systems (e.g. GIT).
Why join the team
Join us and help make government work better for people by delivering simple, effective and straightforward digital services and products. We provide employees with constructive feedback to foster their career growth, and opportunities to collaborate with talented people.
- work that makes an impact
- learning and development opportunities
- open and inclusive work environment
- flexible work arrangements
- health and dental benefits
- pension plan
- generous vacation
We will help you achieve your goals through continuous learning, professional development and support.
Job Details Job Title: Senior Developer, Job ID 116319 Area of Government: Ontario Digital Service Location: Ontario. Most of us are headquartered in Toronto, but, we are committed to finding the best people wherever they are, and working differently. Salary: up to $92,801.67 per year, depending on experience Job Term: 3 Temporary 12 months with possible extension Hours of Work: 36.25/week (Schedule 6) Job Code: EA070 - Systems Officer 5 (exc)
How to apply
If you’re interested, skip the cover letter and just send us an email, including the following:
- your resume
- where you saw our job ad
- a paragraph on why you want to be a part of the ODS leadership team
- a link to your best work
Submit your application by email to DigitalJobs2@ontario.ca – put “Hire me – Sr. Developer” in the subject line. We’ll get back to you soon after the closing date.
Please do not include shortened URLs, because your email will not reach us (for example, https://goo.gl/8lvNl6).
We’re accepting submissions until January 7, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
Inclusion and accessibility:
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please let us know via email at DigitalJobs2@ontario.ca
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.