The Interactive News desk at The New York Times is looking for creative, interdisciplinary thinkers with strong technical backgrounds and an expertise in building web experiences for mobile.
This position is focused on helping newsroom teams expand their ambitions for engaging readers via mobile platforms.
In particular, we are seeking someone who is excited to:
- Build tooling to speed mobile web development and testing, so that web-based interactives are more consistently performant and better reflect “native” device behavior.
- Prototype new mobile interaction patterns within a WebView context, in collaboration with other newsroom design and development groups.
- Work with our platform engineering teams (iOS, Android, web) to advance our ability to tell rich interactive stories on mobile.
- Collaborate with our graphics editors and interactive developers to improve the mobile expression of specific projects.
- Be the resident expert in techniques for mobile storytelling and contribute back to the broader mobile development community.
Interactive News is the special digital projects team embedded within The Times’ newsroom. We work with editors, reporters, photographers, designers and other developers to create newsroom-facing tools and reader-facing projects that expand the horizons of our digital news report.
Our department’s goal is to practice web development and software engineering as a newsroom craft. We draw on technical expertise to imagine new editorial forms. Most of our work is published collaboratively with other teams — your role is to bring digital creativity and software expertise. Interactive News handles a variety of project types:
- Experiments: You will iterate quickly and collaboratively to explore new ideas.
- Library and tool development: You will package functionality so that it can be reused by others.
- Mature projects: You will use engineering expertise to improve the scalability and repeatability of our projects.
We don’t ask for deep journalism experience, but you should be a critical thinker when it comes to the news and how we bring thoughtful experiences for our readers. In addition:
- You understand the importance of deadlines: we’ll trust you to deliver.
- You take a creative approach to solving problems.
- You have a strong technical skillset: You can take ownership of complex backend and infrastructural challenges.
- You enjoy working as part of a small team but are self-disciplined when working alone.
- You’re comfortable jumping between details and bigger-picture challenges.
- If you are a member of a group that has been historically underrepresented in technology, we especially encourage you to apply.
About Our Tech
- Our projects typically publish via the CMS into mobile WebViews. Ruby, Node, Go and Python are the team’s predominant backend technologies.
- We use a combination of Mongo, ElasticSearch and SQL (among others) as data stores for our applications.
- Although you may be more experienced in some of these technologies, you ideally would be comfortable working across the stack. In Interactive News, we want every team member to feel confident about making changes and pushing them live to the site.
In our application process, we will ask you for:
- Your résumé
- A short memo/cover letter describing why you are interested in the role and team
- Links to some work samples, e.g. sites you’ve worked on, your GitHub or a portfolio site
Apply! To learn more about Interactive News, visit our broader team description.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individuahttps://jobs.github.com/post#previewl's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
Senior Embedded Linux Developer with C/Python -- 100%...