Interactive News Developer (Backend and Tooling)posté par fevrokbot il y a 2 semaines
Description de l'emploi
The Interactive News desk at The New York Times is looking for creative, interdisciplinary thinkers with strong technical backgrounds.
This position is focused on using backend and infrastructure expertise to grow the efficiency, agility and impact of our team's contribution to the newsroom.
In particular, we are seeking someone who is excited to:
- Help us continue the evolution of our application deployment and hosting infrastructure.
- Build foundational services that support Interactive News applications.
- Contribute to project work as a backend developer and infrastructure expert.
- Grow the knowledge and abilities of others on the team and in the newsroom.
Interactive News is the special digital projects team embedded within The Times’ newsroom. We work with editors, reporters, photographers, designers and other developers to create newsroom-facing tools and reader-facing projects that expand the horizons of our digital news report.
Our department’s goal is to practice web development and software engineering as a newsroom craft. We draw on technical expertise to imagine new editorial forms. Most of our work is published in collaboration with other newsroom departments — your role is to bring digital creativity and software expertise. Interactive News handles a variety of project types:
- Library and tool development: You will package functionality so that it can be reused by others.
- Mature projects: You will use engineering expertise to improve the scale and repeatability of our projects.
- Experiments: You will iterate quickly and collaboratively to explore new ideas.
We don’t ask for deep journalism experience, but you should be a critical thinker when it comes to the news and how we bring thoughtful experiences for our readers. In addition:
- You understand the importance of deadlines: we’ll trust you to deliver.
- You take a creative approach to solving problems.
- You have a strong technical skillset: You can take ownership of complex backend and infrastructural challenges.
- You enjoy working as part of a small team but are self-disciplined when working alone.
- You’re comfortable jumping between details and bigger-picture challenges.
- If you are a member of a group that has been historically underrepresented in technology, we especially encourage you to apply.
About Our Tech
- Ruby, Node, Go and Python are the team’s predominant backend technologies. We use a combination of Mongo, ElasticSearch and SQL (among others) as data stores for our applications.
- We currently deploy server-side code in Docker containers to Google Container Engine clusters. We used a mix of services hosted on Amazon and Google Cloud Platform.
- You should have proven experience in one of the areas above and be willing to build skills in the rest.
Although you may be more experienced in some of these technologies, you ideally would be comfortable working (or eager to learn to work) across the stack. In Interactive News, we want every team member to feel confident about making changes and pushing them live to the site.
In our application process, we will ask you for:
- Your résumé
- A short memo describing why you are interested in the role and team
- Links to some work samples, e.g. sites you’ve worked on, your GitHub or a portfolio site
Apply! We will be accepting applications for this role through midnight EST on Wednesday, Nov. 22nd, 2017. To learn more about Interactive News, visit our broader team description.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individuahttps://jobs.github.com/post#previewl's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
|Salaire mensuel||Non spécifié||Niveau d'ancienneté||Pas applicable|
|Type d'emploi||À plein temps||Offres d'emploi||0|