ABOUT engineering @ Oportun
The Engineering team @ Oportun (formerly Progreso Financiero) is dedicated to shipping performant, elegant, and intuitive software to our retail agents and directly to our customers. We provide the platform, software services, and interfaces that have enabled Oportun to serve over 370,000 customers with over $1 billion in life-changing, responsible loans disbursed. We work on a very unique platform, combining service-oriented platform services with sophisticated frontend user experiences, all enabled through a best-in-class (and fun to use!) automated development infrastructure. We prove that FinTech is more fun, more challenging, and in our case, more rewarding as we build technology that changes our customers’ lives.
We want to grow our front-end team by adding an experienced Web UI Developer. We’re looking not only for a proven engineer, but for a great team member--someone who is comfortable working with our product, platform, and design teams to bring the next step in our company vision to life.
In our team, we put a high degree of trust in our leaders to deliver against the commitments we make to each other and to our business partners. Therefore, you’ll need to demonstrate a high degree of accountability, the ability to spot a problem + own it to resolution and the ability to inspire others to cross the finish line strong.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR IN AN IDEAL CANDIDATE?
- Experience with responsive web development (knowing what media queries are, for example, and when to use them), creating meaningful mobile web interfaces in code.
- Experience creating visual designs for the web—with a specific nod to usability and quality consumer user experiences.
- Ability to create design assets for the web—today, this mostly represents CSS/HTML, but image assets may be required sometimes.
- Some previous experience with frontend MVC frameworks (like Angular.JS)
- Product/Web/Graphic design experience a plus—this role requires not only experience with UI/X implementation, but a strong opinion about good UI design. Maybe you were a graphic designer in a past life?
- Quick iteration in code—you move more quickly with CSS than Photoshop, and prefer to make changes that way.
- BS in Computer Science or Graphic/UX Design, or equivalent
- Experience building and designing user interfaces for a publicly available, consumer-focused web application
- Expert level understanding of HTML5 and CSS3.
- Familiarity with a rapid iteration design tool—Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch
- A passion for quality design, and pixel-perfect implementation.
- 3-5 years experience shipping quality frontend code
We offer competitive salaries, bonuses, stock options, great benefits and a brand new, fully loaded laptop of your choosing. We have strong opinions about work/life balance, and seek to create a comfortable and productive environment where we can ship apps that we’re proud of and that best serve our customers.
As a company with a conscience, we’re looking for funny, smart, energetic, and enthusiastic teammates to help us in our goal of building better futures for our customers. We also have regular ping-pong tournaments, release parties, and weekly happy hours.
Oportun is a financial technology company founded in 2005. Our mission is to provide affordable loans to US Latinos and others in order to build a better future. Oportun uses advanced data analytics and technology to score and lend money to individuals with limited credit history – people other lenders consider “unscorable.”
In recognition of Oportun’s goals of increasing economic opportunity for our clients, promoting community development, and serving low-income or underserved communities, Oportun was certified by the United States Department of Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution or CDFI.
At Oportun, everything we do reflects our corporate values of Service, Care, Innovation, Courage, Excellence, and Empowerment.
Oportun is a great place to work if you are as enthusiastic about helping others as you are about your own professional development and career. As our CEO Raul Vazquez says, “Earning a paycheck to support yourself and your family is critical. Satisfying career ambitions is rewarding.But there is no greater privilege than having a challenging job where you are growing and learning professionally, while having a strong positive impact on the lives of others… And that is what we do here every day.”