About Lyst & the role
Lyst is a global fashion search platform which connects millions of shoppers with the world’s leading fashion brands, designers and stores, about 11000+ of them, giving customers a simpler, more engaging buying experience.
The product is growing fast and now entering a new phase of our roadmap, looking to take our platform to the international masses. As a Fashion Search Engine, we are putting machine learning, computer vision and NLP at the core of our platform. We really see data science as an integrated part of cross functional teams (squads), where scientists spend a significant amount of time developing and optimising production-ready systems. This is why we’re aiming to build a true Data Science community here, with a big focus on being fully immersed and hands on in product development but also making sure we spend time researching and taking time to reflect.
Part of this new direction, we are looking for a VP of Data Science who can lead our efforts in this space, contribute to our technical and strategic direction but also share knowledge with the other Data Scientists. It’s not just strategy and mentorship we’re looking for; in our vision, you should be eager to be hands-on coding and actively contributing to building the platform further. You will work closely with product, engineering and other business stakeholders, bringing a data driven approach to business growth and delivering outstanding products.
What day-to-day can look like at Lyst:
- Provide leadership and strategy for our machine learning driven products
- Coach, mentor and grow our team of data scientists
- Identify relevant technology and engage with external industrial or academic partners
- Get your hands dirty, actively contribute to codebase and code reviews (data scientists at Lyst implement and deploy their models themselves)
- Reporting to CTO and working with the other Tribe Leaders on Lysts technical future
What you'll bring on board:
- Proven track record of leading teams developing commercially successful machine learning products, ideally in search or e-commerce fields
- Very good experience working with Python and SQL
- Experience working in a startup or similar environment
- Expert knowledge of statistical modelling methods for supervised and unsupervised learning, ideally also some knowledge in NLP and computer vision.
- Effective communication skills and ability to explain complex data products in simple terms
- Experience with cloud computing platforms (AWS is desirable)
- Pragmatic and have a desire to learn through iteration and delivery.
- Degree from a top-tier University possibly with a postgraduate qualification in Statistics, Computer Science, Machine Learning or similar
What we offer:
- Private Healthcare by Vitality - your health is important to us which is why we offer all employees a comprehensive healthcare scheme.
- Eyecare – Discounted eye tests and glasses.
- Company pension - up to 3% matching.
- The Lyst Clothing Benefit. We're a fashion company so we'll give you £250 to spend on the site in Year 1, £500 in Year 2, £750 in Year 3 and £1000 from Year 4 onwards. You're going to look fantastic!
- Holidays - It's important you take time off! You get 22 days throughout the year to take a well earned rest. In addition, you get 8 public bank holidays and 7 additional days when the office is closed over Christmas, so a total of 29 days & bank holidays.
- Regular yoga classes, 5 a-side football and netball teams to encourage a healthy work / life balance.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Childcare vouchers.
- Season ticket loans.
- Your conference tickets are paid for - we’re big on learning and development and encourage everyone to attend events. In fact we go further and all Lysters get $1500 to spend on courses and training. Team meet ups twice a month to share some of the interesting things we’re working on internally and externally.
- Social events - from table-top games to climbing, movie nights to triathlons, you’ll find a group of people always keen to get involved.