Are you a technology leader who has successfully scaled a team before, and are ready to do it again?
Have you modernized the tools and processes of dev and QA teams so they can focus on creating great software, rather than wasting time on mind-numbing overhead?
Would you enjoy the challenge of taking the reins from a technical founder and making the dev organization your own?
If so, then read on…
CoConstruct is the #1-rated cloud-based project management system that eliminates the chaos in the days of home builders and remodelers and creates rewarding building experiences for both them and their clients.
That’s not just our vision. We prove it every day. You can see what our clients say here: http://www.softwareadvice.com/construction/co-construct-profile/#reviews
About the Position:
You will be the senior technical leader in the company. It will be your responsibility (and pleasure) to guide the team in adding new features, updating existing ones, building a new mobile app, enhancing reliability and performance, optimizing processes, and recruiting and training new team members. You'll work closely with your peers on the leadership team and will report directly to the CEO.
- 10+ years of progressive technology leadership experience on SaaS engineering teams, with several years of hands-on software development experience, and 7+ years of people leadership experience*
- Directly lead a team of 10+ developers and QAs
- Scaled an application over 50% in a single year
- Working knowledge of various software development methodologies, with pros and cons of each
- Sound understanding of software architecture in web and mobile applications, including SOA
- Understanding of IT infrastructure approaches, including containerization
- Working knowledge of current DevOps tools and best practices
- Current managerial-level knowledge of latest mainstream web, mobile, and database technologies
- Managerial-level knowledge of the toolsets and workflows for automated unit, integration, and UI tests
- Working knowledge of database and application architecture design
- Analyzed architecture recommendations in light of performance, time to develop, scalability, security, and maintainability
- Quarterbacked a team in crisis situations, such as with production issues
- Summarized pros and cons of decisions for presentation to executives
- Managed development and QA teams for an application with new and legacy code bases
- Developed KPIs for dev and QA teams
- Performed cost/benefit analyses
- Identified process bottlenecks
- Performed root cause analyses (such as for rework or system issues)
- Performed gap analyses
- Performed risk assessments
- Implemented new team processes
- Led change management among direct reports
- Fostered cross-department collaboration
- Selected new technologies and processes for team use
- Created training plans and objectives for employees tied to company goals
- Conducted employee coaching and performance reviews, including on technical, process, and interpersonal skills
- Interviewed for new team members
- Developed onboarding plans for new employees
- Developed and coached managers of people
- Favored simplicity in technical approaches
- Consistently questioned the cost/benefit of actions, including of “accepted practices”
- Proactively used data to present fact-based analyses and recommendations
- Used an organized, self-reliant approach to document and meet commitments
- Been proactive in approach to problem identification and resolution
- Worked with a strong sense of urgency
As the Vice President of Engineering, you will:
- Provide engineering execution excellence, as well as technical vision and direction, to ensure the development team is aligned with the strategy and cadence of the company
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the development and QA teams
- Lead the teams to predictably deliver high-quality, scalable software
- Provide ultimate signoff on architecture design decisions, usually by vetting recommendations provided by your direct reports, but getting involved in the details when necessary
- Implement KPIs for system and team performance
- Manage and optimize the team’s workflow processes
- Identify and implement time-saving and quality-boosting tools and processes for dev, test, and dev ops
- Ensure high availability of the CoConstruct application now and as we scale
- Attract, retain, mentor, and develop an outstanding and motivated team
- Define objectives and track results for team members in a supportive, motivating, and fact-driven way
- Coach team members on coding practices and in making business-driven decisions
- Work with the product team to provide guidance and execution on the product roadmap
- Identify, research, and propose strategic initiatives in a way that balances both the short and long term company goals
- Proactively present succinct, fact- and logic-based recommendations to the CEO
- Use an organized, self-reliant approach to document and meet commitments
- Proactively identify and resolve issues relating to people, product, tech, and process
- Work across other departments to get alignment on dev-related items
We are excited about what the right person in this role will accomplish, and we want you to be excited about the journey ahead. That's why we have explicit goals already in place for the initial months of this position, so you know exactly what's expected:
In applying, please submit cover letter and resume. In your cover letter, please respond to the following question: Tell us one thing that you did that had the biggest impact on your development organization.
Our cloud-based software solution enables custom home builders and remodelers to better market and organize their business and projects, increasing their revenue and lowering their cost. Our clients love our products—you can check out what they have to say about our solutions.
We are a growing company with lots of opportunities — rated by Inc. Magazine as the 515th fastest growing privately held company in the US in 2014 and again making the top of the list in 2015 and 2016. We’re constantly surprising ourselves with the great things our team is doing! You will hear our team members say “I’ve never worked at a company like this before,” since it’s an extraordinary group of committed people who are constantly shocking our prospects and customers – in a good way. We are the #1 highest-rated company in our space and are #2 by market share — on our way to #1.
- Medical, dental and vision (employer covers 100% of employee’s dental premiums and medical premiums on some plans)
- Retirement plan with employer match
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Paid holidays
- Employer-paid training for relevant skills
- Potential relocation assistance
Why come to Charlottesville, VA?
- Internationally recognized foodie, brewery, and winery destination
- Thriving music, tech, and art scenes
- Our historic Downtown Mall has many venues, restaurants, and unique shops. It is a great place to experience music and performances of all kinds
- Nestled near the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains
- The University of Virginia offers top tier educational opportunities
- Moderate cost of living for high quality of life
- Close proximity to Richmond and the Nation’s Capital Washington, DC – you will never run out of things to do
CoConstruct is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental disability/handicap, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law. The purpose of this document is to provide a general statement of the major responsibilities of this position and is not intended to describe all elements of the work that may be performed and should not serve as the sole criteria for personnel decisions.