01-Nov-2017 UI/UX and Data Visualization Designer Harvard Kennedy School 44060BR
Duties & Responsibilities The Growth Lab at Harvard's Center for International Development (CID) seeks to answer why some countries grow while others remain mired in poverty. Our team takes government data, combines it with our research methodology on growth and turns it into interactive data tools affecting citizens and policy at the highest international levels. This is a unique opportunity for a committed and enthusiastic UI/UX & Data Visualization Designer to join a technical team innovating to improve the livelihoods of millions of people around the world
Our development team is working with large data sets, developing exploratory data visualization applications and platforms, and bringing forth insights and information in an accessible way to a variety of users, including policymakers around the world.
In this position, you will make a meaningful contribution to the development and enhancement of our online platforms, including our flagship tool, the Atlas of Economic Complexity, produced by the Growth Lab. The Atlas is an innovative online platform used by policymakers, investors, entrepreneurs and academics to interactively visualize a country's trade and explore growth opportunities for every country worldwide.
The designer will collaborate with a small, fast-paced technology team working on the visualization of data and analysis from CID's Growth Lab research. The designer will be expected to work closely with our current backend/data engineer, frontend developer, product manager and among an interdisciplinary group of researchers and academics to learn, solve, design, and deploy. In this role, a designer should enjoy toggling between visualization and UI/UX design on a regular basis.
This role requires a designer to take the creative lead on the design of the Atlas, sub-national Atlases and other related research projects. To do so, a successful candidate will demonstrate adaptability, reliability and mature communication and collaboration skills. On this team, a designer must be comfortable self-directing their daily activities, without micromanagement, to meet ambitious roadmap deadlines.
- Sketch, wireframe and prototype new features and experiences based on user feedback
- Conceptualize and create new visualizations that support large data sets and sophisticated research methodologies
- Conduct user interviews to understand various personas, workflows and user demands
- Help solve a variety of related ad hoc, design-related issues encountered by CID researchers
- Collaborate closely with our product manager, developers and users across the full software lifecycle: requirement discovery, planning, design, development, releasing and maintenance In addition to your application, applicants should be prepared to show a diverse portfolio that demonstrates core UI/UX principles, patterns and best practices.
This position is a fully benefits-eligible term appointment ending one year from the date of hire with the possibility of renewal.
EEO Statement We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/yy9ry7ft2w4g35h4
Apply Online at http://www.Click2Apply.net/yy9ry7ft2w4g35h4