Bustle.com is a new force in media: a news, entertainment, lifestyle, and fashion site for young women driven by a diverse and energetic collection of contributors.
What we have in common with each other and our readers is that we’re insatiably curious about the world. We care about what’s working and what isn’t, about fashion, politics, technology, diversity, books, celebrities, health, beauty, work, friendship, and how to make amazing food on a budget. These are the stories we deliver every day in a format that’s always getting better, quicker, and more engaging.
Bustle is looking to hire a full-time, intrepid reporter who wants to go beyond blogging and break news in Washington D.C. We want you to get out of the office and report on current events that millennials care about — and show how Beltway decisions directly impact their day-to-day lives.
We want to cover how the Trump administration influences young women in particular, depending on their race, region, socioeconomic status, faith, sexual orientation, and more. Bustle will be at the fore of examining how this diverse, activist-minded generation is being affected — and, in turn, is creating change.
The ideal candidate will be plugged into D.C. with a wealth of sources and relationships with Washington’s power players. This reporter will be remote and report to our Deputy News Editor, covering a broad range of politics, policy, and items pegged to the general news cycle. They will collaborate with our general assignment editors and writers, who are based in New York City and around the country.
- File at least two reported pieces of 600 words per day
- Juggle multiple articles at a time, with the ability to switch between topics at the drop of a hat
- Synthesize information in a way that is readable, digestible, reliable, and relevant to our audience
- Pen in-depth, investigative pieces
- Master search engine optimization and apply these skills to own pieces
- Be a team player, listen to direction, and pitch in where needed
- Monitor social media and identify fresh, viral angles on top news stories
- Comfortable incorporating photos, videos, tweets, and memes naturally into news stories
- Two to five years of experience in journalism, specifically working for a news site
- Excellent communication skills, not only in tracking down sources but maintaining correspondence with editors
- Experience in both investigative reporting and breaking news
- Eager to learn new skills and master new areas of expertise
- Equally comfortable pitching ideas and taking assignments
- Have a great network of go-to sources and industry experts
- Eagerness to work at a speed competitive with other outlets
- Prominent Twitter/Social Media presence
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Degree in journalism, communications, political science, or related