Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
DigitalOcean is on a mission to simplify cloud infrastructure for the millions of software developers around the world. We are a small, distributed, and cohesive team. At DigitalOcean, every single engineer has a massive impact on the organization and product, and we want to keep it that way. We believe in autonomy for teams and individuals.
Ultimately, we want you to be passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
As a Software Engineer on the Compute team, you will be developing systems that span our global infrastructure network. You will work on the next generation of cloud services, making developers' lives (both inside DO and in the 'wild') easier by building new services to power the hypervisor, placement, database and event systems. This is a unique opportunity to deliver the best hosted infrastructure experience in the industry to millions of developers around the world. This job can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC and Cambridge, MA.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Develop the services that build Droplets (our customer’s very own Virtual Private Server)
- Implement, optimize, and test virtualization configurations
- Build new services on the hypervisor and enable new features
- Work with our Platform Engineers to design and support new host configurations
- Optimize systems for performance, flexibility, and maintainability
Technologies We Use:
- Go, Perl, Libvirt, Virtio, KVM, Open vSwitch, GRPC, MySQL, Chef, Git
What We'll Expect From You:
- Proficient with at least one of the following languages: Go, Ruby, Python, C/C++, Perl andor Java
- An understanding of Linux and Linux subsystems
- A passion to learn and grow as an engineer and work with our amazing Compute team on virtualization projects
- Solid reasoning and debugging skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Bonus: Experience with at least one configuration management system like Chef, Ansible and/or Puppet
- Big Bonus: Understanding and knowledge of virtualization (such as libvirt, KVM, QEMU, Namespaces and Containers)
- Strong opinions, weakly held
Why You'll Enjoy Working at DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.