Cerner’s FSI (Foreign System Interface) development team is seeking a Software Architect. FSI develops interoperability and integration strategies, including interfaces with external systems to exchange clinical and financial data via Health Level Seven (HL7), National Council for Prescription Drug Program (NCPDP SCRIPT), and X12; Direct for secure communications between systems; Document Exchange (XDS.b) for the publishing and retrieval of documents across multiple venues of care via Health Information Exchanges (HIE); HL7 V3 Consolidated Clinical Document Architecture (C-CDA) for the generation of documents, such as Discharge Summaries, which includes discrete and narrative sections for each component of a patient’s record, e.g., allergies, medications, etc.; and a broad spectrum of other services, most notably Global standards for interoperability within each country’s specific realm.
In this role, you’ll lead the iterative, Agile (scrum) software development life-cycle (SDLC). You’ll be responsible for the design, technical design reviews, and code reviews, and you will be accountable for quality assurance and meeting the respective business requirements. This role requires an in-depth understanding of software engineering and architecture.
- Experience as having been held accountable for software design and code quality; defect free, consistent with existing architecture, adhering to overall functional requirements, adhering to current software abilities
- Experience utilizing development languages (Java specifically) and tools to create and implement design
- Experience with the Scrum agile development methodology
- Proven to show continuous professional and technical development
- Strong project management skills – ensure on-time delivery, controlling project scope and driving project tasks
- Experience collaborating with Solution Management to develop functional work flows and business rules
- Experience creating high-level technical design for use by other software engineers
- Understanding of technology and industry; bringing in innovative ideas and applies them to add value
- Experience facilitating review meetings (e.g., requirements, design, code, and test care)
- Prior participation in and contributor to the continuous improvement of the software development process; perform root-cause analysis, identify problem areas, make recommendations for improvement
- Proven ability to communicate and knowledge share within and across team(s)
- Proven ability to provide mentoring to team members with a strong understanding of dependencies and how individual contributions impact larger vision picture
- Experience with healthcare Integration and Interoperability Standards, including HL7 V2, Consolidated CDA, X12, NCPDP SCRIPT, XDS.b, and Direct.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or the equivalent) in CIS, MIS, IS, Comp Science, Engineering, Business Administration with emphasis in information systems, or related field and 5 years progressively more responsible related experience; or Master’s Degree (or the equivalent) in CIS, MIS, IS, Comp Science, Engineering, Business Administration with emphasis in information systems, or related field and 3 years progressively more responsible related experience.
- Must currently reside or be willing to relocate to the Kansas City, MO metro area
- 5+ year’s software development experience with Java
- 5+ years’ software development experience with C++
- 5+ year’s experience with SQL or other relational database(s)
Cerner’s policy is to provide equal opportunity to all people without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, citizenship status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected category. Cerner is proud to be a drug-free workplace. Applicants for U.S. based positions with Cerner Corporation must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is available for this position.
Be a part of something that matters. Something that affects every single person, every single day—people’s health and the care they receive.
Recognized as one of the most innovative companies in the world (Forbes), Cerner has a revolutionary vision for health care. From the cloud to the desktop, we design, develop and deploy technology that will bring health care into the 21st century.
From single offices to entire countries, Cerner solutions are licensed by over 14,000 health care venues around the world.