Purposeful, practical and principled. BeckWay Group, a leading execution platform for middle-market private equity firms and their portfolio companies, is looking for a Senior Software Engineer candidate who is passionate about delivering high value to complex opportunities. We are seeking professionals who have the combination of aptitude, ambition and intellectual interest that typically predicts success at BeckWay Group. This is an opportunity to be the first full-time technology team member at a funded, early-stage SaaS startup. We are looking to hire a full-stack Senior Software Engineer with 5+ years of experience, preferably in building cloud-based web applications for enterprise clients. We are looking for an entrepreneur/builder that is excited about building a great software product AND a great software business. Ideally, this individual is someone who can eventually build and lead a team. This is simultaneously a leadership and a “roll-up-your-sleeves” role – no task is beneath you. Let us quickly deal with the topic of compensation. Our philosophy on this is to compensate you enough to take the issue of money off the table. A good starting point will be understanding your expectations and taking a look at industry benchmarks for the role. We agree on what is fair, and then we move forward. Now, on to what research suggests are the real drivers for motivation: autonomy, mastery, and purpose.
Autonomy – Our desire to be self-directed. “It doesn’t make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” Steve Jobs
- We want and expect you to think like an owner – this is your product, this is your business. You will make important decisions based on hypotheses, research, and data. You will make mistakes. Own them, learn from them, teach others. We know that the right person will thrive.
- You can work 100% remote in the near-term, but this may change (100% -> 60%?) when the team scales and it is more efficient to work together. We have WeWork licenses that we can use whenever we want to co-locate. There is no office facetime requirement. There will be some travel as we are a client-driven business.
Mastery – Our urge to get better at stuff. “Train people well enough so they can leave, but treat them well enough so they don’t want to.” Richard Branson
- You will be helping to build a SaaS tool, a team, and a business nearly from scratch. Pretty insane and steep learning curves along multiple dimensions.
- We realize that in tech, you need to be constantly learning. We hope that you are intellectually curious and enjoy learning. We are happy to discuss any training opportunities that you think will help you develop your skill sets.
Purpose – Our desire for a higher, transcendent meaning in our life and work. “True happiness is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.” Helen Keller
- Increase happiness: Our hope is that we will develop technology products that benefit humanity. By helping our client’s employees see the link between what they do every day and their company’s strategy, we aspire to create a more engaged and happier workforce.
- Increase value: Our software helps our clients execute strategic projects more efficiently thus creating more valuable businesses.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Experience/Knowledge Requirements: 5+ years of relevant work experience – can you create amazing user-focused tech that is difficult to copy? Show us!
Education/Technical Requirements: Computer science or related engineering degree from a top engineering school (Masters+ preferred)
Special Information: Some travel is expected to attend to quarterly BeckWay Group offsites but expected to be no more than 10% of time and all domestic.