PureScript/React Front-End Developer @ CollegeVinePosted by fevrokbot 5 months ago 2017-06-23 23:14:31
CollegeVine is looking for a product-focused front-end developer to help engineer the future of guidance, mentorship, and higher education attainment.
There aren't many industries left that haven't been significantly disrupted by technology in some way, but you're reading about one right here! Public high school guidance departments are under-resourced in our country and we think near-peer mentorship is the solution. As it stands, the current admissions process is a huge source of stress and confusion for students and parents alike. If we execute correctly, your work will impact the entire next generation of college graduates-to-be.
You will join a fast-moving company whose culture centers around authenticity, excellence, and balance. You'll find that everyone likes to keep things simple and transparent. We prefer to be goal-oriented and hands-off as long as you are a self-starter.
Our modern perspective on developer potential means we celebrate and optimize for real output. And that's probably the reason why we're a polyglot functional programming shop, with emphasis on Haskell, PureScript, and functional paradigms. Our infrastructure and non-mission-critical tooling tends to be in whatever works best for the task at hand: sometimes that's Haskell with advanced GHC extensions a-blazin', other times it's minimalist Ruby or bash—basically, it's a team decision based on whatever sits at the intersection of appropriateness, developer joy, quality, and velocity.
You know you are right for this position if:
- You have at least five years of professional software engineering experience, and at least two years of preference for a high-level programming language that's used in industry, like Haskell, Clojure, OCaml, Erlang, F#, or similar.
- You have front-end experience with JS or a functional language that compiles to JS, like PureScript, Elm, Clojurescript, or similar. We use PureScript, React, and ES6 on the front-end in a fairly seamless way. It's pretty awesome.
- You seek ownership beyond your own work, and look to the product and company as a whole.
- You are a self-starter and internally motivated, with a strong desire to be part of a successful team that shares your high standards.
- You have great written communication skills and are comfortable with making big decisions over digital presence (e.g. video chat).
- You have polyglot experience along several axes (dynamic/static, imperative/functional, lazy/strict, weird/not-weird).
- You are comfortable with modern infrastructure essentials like AWS, Heroku, Docker, CI, etc. You have basic but passable sysadmin skills.
- You are fluent with git.
- You instrument before you optimize. You test before you ship. You listen before you conclude. You measure before you cut. Twice.
We offer a competitive salary and a full suite of benefits, some of them unconventional, but awesome for the right person:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Flexible hours with a 4-hour core - plan the rest of your workday as you wish, just give us the majority of your most creative hours. Productivity ideas: avoid traffic, never wait in line at the grocery store, wake up without an alarm clock.
- Goal-based environment (as opposed to grind-based or decree-based environment; work smarter, not harder; intelligently, not mindlessly). We collaborate on setting goals, but you set your own process for accomplishing those goals. You will be entrusted with a lot of responsibility and you might even experience fulfillment and self-actualization as a result.
- Join an engineering culture that celebrates mindfulness and takes the quality of your attention seriously.
Remember: We’re a startup. You’re an early employee. We face challenges. We have to ship. Your ideas matter. You will make a difference.
|Monthly Salary||Unspecified||Seniority Level||Not Applicable|
|Employment Type||Full Time||Vacancies||0|