CollegeVine is looking for a product-focused front-end developer to help engineer the future of guidance, mentorship, and higher education attainment. Join a small team of pragmatic functional programmers at a company that's making a material difference in society. Your work will impact an entire generation of high schoolers and college grads-to-be.
You know you are right for this position if:
- You have at least five years of professional software engineering experience, and at least two years of preference for a high-level programming language that's used in industry, like Haskell, Clojure, OCaml, Erlang, F#, or similar.
- You have front-end experience with JS or a functional language that compiles to JS, like PureScript, Elm, Clojurescript, or similar. We use PureScript, React, and ES6 on the front-end in a fairly seamless way. It's pretty awesome.
- You seek ownership beyond your own work, and look to the product and company as a whole.
- You are a self-starter and internally motivated, with a strong desire to be part of a successful team that shares your high standards.
- You have great written communication skills and are comfortable with making big decisions over digital presence (e.g. video chat).
- You have polyglot experience along several axes (dynamic/static, imperative/functional, lazy/strict, weird/not-weird).
- You are comfortable with modern infrastructure essentials like AWS, Heroku, Docker, CI, etc. You have basic but passable sysadmin skills.
- You are fluent with git.
- You instrument before you optimize. You test before you ship. You listen before you conclude. You measure before you cut. Twice.
We offer a competitive salary and a full suite of benefits, some of them unconventional, but awesome for the right person:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Flexible hours with a 4-hour core - plan the rest of your workday as you wish, just give us the majority of your most creative hours. Productivity ideas: avoid traffic, never wait in line at the grocery store, wake up without an alarm clock.
- Goal-based environment (as opposed to grind-based or decree-based environment; work smarter, not harder; intelligently, not mindlessly). We collaborate on setting goals, but you set your own process for accomplishing those goals. You will be entrusted with a lot of responsibility and you might even experience fulfillment and self-actualization as a result.
- Join an engineering culture that celebrates mindfulness and takes the quality of your attention seriously.
Remember: We’re a startup. You’re an early employee. We face challenges. We have to ship. Your ideas matter. You will make a difference.