Why Carbon Black?
At Carbon Black, you’ll have an opportunity to make a huge impact while working alongside a global community of passionate security technology experts. For three consecutive years, our valued employees around the world have made Carbon Black a Top Place to Work, as named by the Boston Globe.
Our Engineering team is moving at lightning speed on the breaking edge of technology. You’ll be pulling things apart and tinkering, building new platforms, or playing in the cloud. Here, the engineering opportunities are endless. With this fast-paced, synergetic group, you’ll be working together and across the organization to ensure customer success all while continuing to build a product that protects their dearest assets.
Why You Matter:
The Cb Defense platform team is building an essential security defense against advance persistent threats and malware through comprehensive measurement, detection, protection, and trust capabilities. Our work is deep inside operating systems—Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux—and we’re looking for team members that like to pry them open and innovate in the gaps. You’re probably a good fit for the team if:
- You’re fluent in C++ (both OO and generic constructs) and understand the code that is generated
- You can easily find your way around a storage stack, task scheduler, or virtual memory
- You don’t feel dirty poking around a core dump, reading assembly, or reverse engineering things
- You relish hard problems in security, virtualization, stream processing, forensics, and cryptography
- You write robust, reliable code
- You can effectively work remotely
- You enjoy a fast paced, high energy, high output team
- You have the computer science background to do so effectively and efficiently
This position is focused on Linux, so familiarity with Linux security modules, loadable kernel modules and troubleshooting loadable kernel modules is valuable. Experience with the C/C++, Boost, STD template library, and application debugging on Linux is a must. As a Principal Software Engineer, you will lead the development of major functional and component areas from inception through delivery.
You’ll be part of a small team of smart talented people like yourself. The team shares a sense of purpose and urgency, but in a fun, friendly and informal atmosphere typical of young innovative technology companies. All doors are always open. You’ll work on problems we haven’t figured out and enjoy the satisfaction of having an impact on our success.
What You’ll Do:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design, develop, test, document and maintain complex software features from general specifications.
- Apply proven patterns, design principles and software engineering practices to develop quality software.
- Plan and take responsibility for multiple features through the complete software development lifecycle.
- Analyze, isolate and resolve problems in product software with little or no guidance.
- Respond to high-priority issues quickly and drive to resolution and customer satisfaction.
- Lead and contribute to reviews of software artifacts and give considered, high-quality feedback.
- Evaluate, select and adapt standard techniques, tools and procedures in the delivery of features.
- Independently collaborate with peers and with other functional organizations to achieve project goals.
- Plan and schedule work and tasks across multiple features, manage dependencies, change and risk.
- Lead projects and the delivery of multiple features to successful conclusion with a minimum of guidance.
- Provide technical supervision and mentoring of one or more engineers.
- Recommend new features, technologies, tools, process improvements.
- Deliver technical training and training materials for other functional organizations in the company.
What You’ll Bring:
- At least nine years of software engineering in a product development organization
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- At least five years recent experience building systems-level software (e.g. kernel modules, agents).
- Deep knowledge in at least two related product or technical areas such as file systems or distributed systems.
- A record of efficient, creative solutions to complex problems and successful incorporation in product delivery.
- Practical experience in C++ with applied knowledge of object oriented and generic programming.
- Fluent in approaches to security, concurrency, debugging, performance, scalability, supportability and quality.
- Good written and excellent verbal communication.
Who We Are
Carbon Black is the leading provider of next-generation endpoint security. Carbon Black’s Next-Generation Antivirus (NGAV) solution, Cb Defense, leverages breakthrough prevention technology, “Streaming Prevention,” to instantly see and stop cyberattacks before they execute. Cb Defense uniquely combines breakthrough prevention with market-leading detection and response into a single, lightweight agent delivered through the cloud. With more than 7 million endpoints under management, Carbon Black has more than 2,500 customers, including 30 of the Fortune 100. These customers use Carbon Black to replace legacy antivirus, lock down critical systems, hunt threats, and protect their endpoints from the most advanced cyberattacks, including non-malware attacks.
Carbon Black is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Carbon Black is an inclusive employer that believes in workplace equality, supports diversity, creates a welcoming environment, and respects the unique qualities each individual brings to the company.