Network Next | Network Software Engineer | Santa Monica, CA | Full-Time | Onsite | $100-150k USD, up to 1% equity
Do you love helping game developers create great multiplayer experiences?
Founded in 2017 by game developers and networking pros, and backed by $4.5M in seed investment, Network Next is creating the internet fast lane for games, a network that delivers the best multiplayer experiences possible.
With our technology, real-time applications purchase high performance, low-latency routes on our neutral marketplace—every 10 seconds. You’ll be working with Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes, Go, C/C++, TypeScript and React.
Are you a Network Software Engineer ready to fix the Internet for games? Join us in Santa Monica where you'll help game developers deliver amazing multiplayer experiences.
What you will do:
As part of your role at Network Next, you will:
- Work with customers and suppliers to ensure Network Next delivers the performance and quality characteristics required by games and other real-time applications.
- Work on the software that powers Network Next’s solution, from developing custom network appliances to writing high level tools, automation, and visualizations that give insight into the network.
- Orchestrate and provision network appliances for Network Next's solution, on both virtual instances and bare metal.
- Monitor the state of our SDWAN solution, identifying congested routes, offline appliances, etc. as needed.
- Share on-call responsibilities with engineers, to triage and fix reliability issues arriving in production.
- Develop effective tools and automation, alerts, and response procedures towards identifying and addressing reliability risks across our backend.
What it’s like at Network Next:
You’ll join a diverse team with experience from a wide range of backgrounds, who care deeply about work-life balance and delivering value to our customers.
- Located within walking distance of the Santa Monica pier, there’s plenty of nearby places to grab a coffee or lunch.
- Flexible working hours—most people work in the office from 10AM–5PM, with remote as needed.
- Unlimited PTO—and we mean it. If you feel like taking time away from work, you’re encouraged to do so.
- “Work from home” Fridays. Whether you’re working from home, or finding a nice coffee shop to work out of, we work away from the office on Fridays so we can be productive anywhere.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, a company funded 401k with 5% matching, a conference budget and generous hardware/software allowance, and rapid career growth opportunities.
- Compensation: $100k–$150k USD, with up to 1% equity.
Things we look for:
*You have experience working within the Linux environment.
- You know how to program in C/C++ and ideally Go, or you’re a polyglot engineer who can quickly pick up new programming languages.
- You have a deep understanding of TCP/IP networks, as deployed in the "real world" - L2/L3 switching and routing, configuring VLANs, ACLs, common deployment scenarios and network topologies.
- At least some understanding of existing networking solutions, including but not limited to NFV/SDN solutions, whiteboxes and programmable hardware, and orchestration and monitoring tools.
- You've built and deployed applications at scale, and have a deep understanding of the reliability challenges facing large-scale deployments.
- You have strong critical thinking skills, and can make sound decisions with limited information.
- You have solid communication and interpersonal skills. You can validate and communicate decisions clearly to the team, and with customers.
- Bonus: Experience with software packet processors and kernel bypass techniques like XDP, DPDK, VPP, Netmap etc.
- Bonus: Experience with writing performance software: tuning software and hardware characteristics such as kernel parameters, queue sizing, and developing simulation, testing, and verification scenarios.
- Bonus: You understand server and data center networking hardware: optics, smartNICs, programmable ASICs (via P4).
- Bonus: You have worked with custom protocol stacks, especially overlay networks.
These aren’t hard requirements, and if you don't feel like you meet everything listed above, we encourage you to apply anyway. Above everything else, we’re looking for talented individuals who want to make the Internet better for games.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.