About Linfield Media:
We are an award-winning media company that makes money as an affiliate, driving sales to Top 500 online retailers via our flagship coupon website. We are a top publisher for companies such as Nike, Hotels.com, Dell, and FTD. We were founded in August of 2011 and have been profitable since September of 2011. We are building innovative, disruptive technology and we need a new tech leader.
Our office is a cool, open space in Venice, between Abbott Kinney and Main Street. We have adjustable stand-up desks that everyone loves, a ping pong table that only two people use, and a full kitchen stocked with food we shouldn't be eating. We are a small team of six who has grown into a family, and we need someone who will care as much as we do about our company and each other.
We are seeking a Lead Full Stack Engineer with expertise in both PHP and Ruby/Sinatra. This person will be our first and only employed engineer -- historically we've used multiple contractors (both onshore and offshore) -- so as our technology leader, there will be countless opportunities to make an impact.
About the Role: As our Lead Engineer, you will be responsible for our complete technology platform and products, technology roadmap and technical execution and delivery of development projects. You will manage our technology products and ensure our apps and services are running smooth and highly available to our business and our clients. You will have a tremendous level of autonomy in defining our tools, technologies and processes for our technology platform. You will manage and execute all aspects of the software development lifecycle including requirements and user experience design collaboration, technical architecture and design, code, test, deployment and support.
You know how to take new products and features from zero to production-ready, and understand its proper care and feeding. You have a strong grasp of industry standards, technology best practices, architecture and design patterns. You will contribute and have a big impact on our products from day one.
- Be a key and active participant in our company and culture and have the opportunity to influence the features and direction of our products with your own ideas
- Own high impact and high visibility engineering projects end to end. Own and drive our technology platform and roadmap
- Take full ownership to build, deliver and maintain features that span technologies, systems, and processes where you will design, test, and ship great code and great user experiences every day
- Demonstrate high engineering standards and bring consistency to our codebases, tools and processes
- Constantly identify ways to optimize and improve our technology and products
- Build new features, API integrations and data feeds for internal and external users
- Hire and manage tech contractors (onshore/offshore) if/when needed
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Are a team player who puts camaraderie and company culture ahead of ego and personal gain
- You love to own things end to end and get stuff done without being micromanaged
- Are a leader who is experienced enough to be the lead on all tech decisions and comfortable being the last line of defense for all tech problems
- A passion for doing things the right way and presenting/recommending options. A defendable opinion on what comprises the “right way” is a major plus
- Enjoy being highly productive and getting stuff done as opposed to sitting in meetings and phone calls. (Our focus is all about building stuff and less on politics, barriers, and titles)
- Enjoy working on both the frontend, backend, and anything it takes to solve problems and delight users both internally and externally
- Can understand and refactor messy, legacy code
- Thrive being part of a small, tight knit team, working in a collaborative environment involving different team members and subject matter experts
- Take pride in successful delivery of software involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Can stitch together different services and processes even if you have not worked with them before
- Can put yourself in the shoes of your users and be a steward of crafting great experiences
- Uphold best practices in engineering and design
- You focus on quality, sweating the details, and delighting our users
- You look for opportunities to solve problems in innovative ways
- Have a never-ending desire to self-educate on the latest technologies and continuously look to improve our products and our ability to manage/support them
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent
- You are a full stack developer with experience in modern web frameworks and REST APIs and have built external, customer-facing products and features
- 5+ years of industry experience as a software engineer with great engineering skills and strong CS fundamentals
- 5+ years of experience with relational databases, SQL, schema design and data modeling
- 3+ years of experience with PHP/Zend, Ruby/Sinatra
- Experience coding against RESTful APIs or service oriented middle tiers
- Understanding of user-centered design, progressive enhancement and graceful degradation, accessibility, SEO, responsive design, and website performance
- Proficiency with Git/Github or other distributed version control systems
- Proficiency with public cloud infrastructure, services and deployment technologies - preferably AWS and services such as EC2, S3, SNS, and CloudFormation
- Ability to work with little guidance - both independently and with teammates
- Strong degree of ownership and accountability
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated experience and passion for automation, quality and writing clean, solid, readable code that scales and performs well
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, vision insurance (business covers 100% of insurance)
- 401k plan with 3% match
- 4 weeks vacation (in addition to 6 major holidays)
- Flexible work environment, we believe in output not hours
- Cool, open office space
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Apple equipment
- Company sponsored happy hours and events
- Much more...
We value a diverse workplace and highly encourage applications from people of color, women, LGBTQ persons, people with disabilities, and ethnic and religious minorities.
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org