IMPORTANT INFORMATION: this role is not suitable for people who do not want to live in Australia. You can work in our head office in Melbourne or may be able to work remotely while located in Australia. All applicants may be considered for all open engineering roles across the Envato (Envato Market, Envato Tuts+, Envato Studio, etc.).
- Awesome Tech Stack (React, Redux, Webpack, Node, Ruby/Rails) & established, growing dev team
- Work on giving the Envato marketplace an exciting new look
- Work from anywhere in Australia or from HQ in Melbourne at one of the Best Places to Work in Australia
Headquartered in Melbourne, Australia, Envato is the leading marketplace for creative assets and creative people.
With more than 300 staff and contractors worldwide, we've helped a community of creative sellers earn more than $500 Million. Millions of people around the world choose our marketplace, studio and courses to buy files, hire freelancers, or learn the skills needed to build websites, videos, apps, graphics and more.
Recently, JobAdvisor awarded us the title of Australia's Coolest Company for Women and Diversity (2015 and 2016). We were also named as one of the Best Places to Work in Australia in the 2015 and 2016 BRW Awards.
You might be surprised to know that not only do we run some of the biggest websites in the world; we’re also growing really fast!
All applicants will be considered for all open engineering roles across the Envato marketplace (Market, Tuts+, Studio, etc.)
What you’ll be doing
As a front end developer for Envato you will contribute to the ongoing improvement of architecture, code structure, library choices, development practices and testing techniques.
Can you Meet the Expectations of Envato's Engineering Team?
At Envato, our Engineers expect certain things of each other. Not all of these are easy to uphold. Are you ready to join the team and meet the expectations of your peers at Envato? Read about the expectations and how they were developed by our team on our technical blog.
What we’re looking for
- Good working knowledge of React, using ES2016
- Experience working with Redux / Flux architectures
- Strong familiarity with the front end open source ecosystem, and the ability to make appropriate platform choices for the task at hand
- Experience developing maintainable and scalable code in a team of multiple front end developers
- Understanding of front end performance considerations
- Experience using CSS pre and post processors
- Experience working with designers to build responsive websites
- Experience supporting multiple browsers using progressive enhancement / graceful degradation
- Familiar with version control systems and comfortable using Git
- Ability to develop for multiple browsers and multiple devices
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience architecting CSS in a maintainable fashion
- Exposure to UX design tools and methodologies
- Worked within Ruby on Rails or other server-side frameworks
- Experience working with designers from the inception of a feature to production deployment
- Demonstrable skills in user interface design
- Understanding of accessibility requirements
- Be a nice person who cares about their work
- Communicate well in person and in writing
- Be a curious person committed to continual learning
- Be capable of writing clean, well thought out, and reliable code
- Be comfortable working on a project from the original fuzzy brief through development and deployment and beyond with minimal oversight required
- Be comfortable in a Linux software development and deployment environment
What We've Got
A Great Team and Culture
- Developers are responsible for features from inception through to them being in the hands of customers. The devs talk directly to customers about what they're working on
- We do continuous delivery properly: any team member can deploy, and we regularly do several deploys a day
- We publish portions of our code as open source, and contribute back to open source projects we use
- We were recently named Australia's Coolest Tech Company by JobAdvisor and one of the Best Places to Work in Australia
- A fantastic culture of creatively minded, hard working people who are passionate about Envato and being part of its growth and success
- Flexible working conditions – we want you to love your work but also your life outside of Envato
- We actively work on creating a safe, inclusive environment free from discrimination
- In addition to hiring for our Melbourne CBD office, we will also consider applications from experienced Ruby Developers who would like to work remotely (Australia wide)
- Future career progression will be available across the entire business - we're big on internal opportunities and professional growth!
Who should apply?
We care deeply about diversity at Envato, and welcome applicants of all types, and from all backgrounds. If you think you have the skills and experience needed for this role then we'd like to hear from you.
Submit a cover letter, an up to date copy of your resume and answers to the application questions. Good luck!