Experienced Ruby DeveloperPosted by fevrokbot 2 months ago
Loco2's mission is to make booking trains anywhere in Europe as easy and affordable as possible, from epic international adventures to everyday local commutes. Our booking coverage is unrivalled and growing.
We're a small team of committed individuals, dedicated to building excellent technology. Our users are at the centre of what we do, and we're proud to have an average rating of 9.3 out of 10 on Trustpilot.
We’ve been selling tickets since 2012 (read our full story here), and we’re growing rapidly as the business matures. Our goal is to scale effectively whilst continuing to delight our users.
We have an office in London, but software engineers are free to work remotely and with flexible hours. Everyone in the company uses online tools like Slack, Trello, GitHub and Basecamp to work together.
We’re not a VC-backed startup. We’re focused on using our technical resources efficiently as part of a unique and enjoyable working culture (we don't think caffeine-fuelled all-nighters are a good way to grow a company that is built to last).
We're driven to delight our users, and we relish in achieving impressive results with a small team, but we have lives outside of work too.
Our software stack consists of a pure-Ruby backend library which we use to communicate with train booking APIs, a modern Rails application, a PostgreSQL database, and two native mobile applications (iOS and Android).
We’re integrated with multiple rail operator booking systems (with our current team we usually complete at least 1-2 major integrations each year), and we’re increasingly consuming other types of data too (e.g. timetable data for routing, real-time arrivals/departures etc).
We need to diligently manage technical complexity, as each external system works in a slightly different way, with its own features and quirks. SOAP is (unfortunately) used by many operator APIs, which is why we released our open source library, LolSoap.
Some of the most difficult challenges we face relate to routing and making sense of lots of data. Which routes are best to get from A to B? Which booking systems should be queried? How might we cache data without affecting accuracy of results?
We’ve recently released mobile applications for iOS and Android. Further developing our mobile strategy is a key goal for the business.
Because Loco2 is the merchant of record for all transactions we are also responsible for fraud prevention, and handling currency and other finance-related issues.
We frequently release new features that drive rapid organic growth, and so it’s vital that we anticipate and address scaling challenges before they occur.
An ideal candidate:
- Has 4+ years of professional programming experience
- Is fluent in English and confident communicating complex technical information
- Has deep knowledge and experience of Ruby
- Has a good working knowledge of modern devops technologies such as Docker
- Is comfortable designing object oriented software from scratch, not just implementing CRUD Rails apps; a pragmatist who can see the trade-offs involved in the different approaches to solving a problem
- Thinks independently and critically, striving to discover the root causes of problems rather than treating the symptoms
- Actively considers future maintainability when deciding how to implement something
- Learns quickly and independently, but doesn't hesitate to ask for help when needed
- Enjoys getting their teeth stuck into complicated problems, as well as being willing to pitch in on some of the more routine tasks which inevitably arise
- Is willing to participate in an on-call rota to cover technical emergencies out of hours
- Can work hours that have at least some overlap with London daytime
- Is motivated by Loco2's mission
How to apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about your skills and experience. You can send a CV if you want, but we do particularly like reading a well-written email instead/as well.
There are some specific questions we'd like you to answer:
- What are the most challenging/interesting programming tasks you have worked on?
- What makes you particularly suited for this role?
- Why do you want to work for Loco2?
- What country and time zone do you live in?
- What are your approximate salary expectations? (please state currency)
We welcome applications from everybody, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. To try to make the hiring process as fair as possible, if we are interested in your application then you'll be asked to complete a programming challenge which is judged anonymously. Our emphasis is on finding somebody with demonstrable skills rather than somebody who is good at self-marketing. This process helps us focus on that.
To apply: Visit https://loco2.com/careers/software-engineer
|Job Details||Job Requirements|
|Monthly Salary||Unspecified||Seniority Level||Not Applicable|
|Employment Type||Full Time||Vacancies||0|
|Location||United States, California, California City|
Job not active