Location: San Francisco, CA or Remote
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an experienced engineering manager to oversee our Performance Team. We are looking for someone who is passionate about Wikimedia's mission to bring free knowledge to every person on the planet, and who will strive to help Wikimedia software developers learn to incorporate performance into their development practices.
The Engineering Manager will work with the Product and Technology teams at Wikimedia who support engineers and designers building features, products, and services used by hundreds of millions of people around the world. This is an opportunity to do good while improving the performance of one of the best known sites in the world.
YOU ARE ... a smart, experienced, hands on software professional that understands all aspects of performance in a top web property. You have significant software performance experience in large scale systems. You have experience counseling engineering and non-engineering teams about performance requirements and implications of their projects. You know how to build software to the highest standards and hold others to the same high standards. You embrace the concepts of open source software development and the importance of community building. You have experience with and enjoy working with highly technical and passionate teams. You enjoy being part of a large, vibrant, passionate and involved community.
You will be driving and producing most of the team’s communication, which can take the form of collaboration with other teams, advocacy, internal and external talks, blog posts and more. You will be the chief performance evangelist to the Foundation, the Movement and the greater Web Performance community.
As an Engineering Manager, we’d like you to do these things:
- Be the performance standard bearer in the Foundation and our communities.
- Be visible in the performance community and work to influence others and bring learnings to the team.
- Work together with the other team members to identify areas for performance improvement and the needed solutions.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on performance and a resource to engineering teams across the Foundation.
- Manage a team of four members, conduct performance reviews, hiring, goal-setting, compensation planning, and career development.
- Design and develop performance-centric enhancements of Wikimedia systems.
- Conduct performance reviews of software designs and implementations.
- Define and manage department budget.
It would be great if you have experience in one or more of these:
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in Computer Science, or a related field.
- Working on a large, mature, open source project.
- Contributing to the Wikipedia or Wikimedia project communities.
- Virtualization technologies.
- Building and maintaining large-scale server applications.
- Developing and debugging in Linux (LAMP) environments.
- Linux system administration and automation using shell scripting (bash, ZSH, etc.)
- Static analysis tools such as Veracode, pfff, PHP-sat, or PHP_CodeSniffer.
- C/C++ debugging using open source tools like gdb or Valgrind.
- Operating system internals, filesystems, programming language design, or compilers.
Please provide URLs to any existing free software work you may have done (your own software or patches to other packages) if possible – we'd love to see what you can do!
We’d like you to have these skills:
- A recognized expert in performance.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- 3+ years of technical leadership experience.
- 3+ years of experience managing a small engineering team with a minimum of 3 direct reports
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and hosts Wikipedia and several other Wikimedia free knowledge sites. Every month, the Wikimedia sites are accessed by more than a billion unique devices. Wikipedia consists of more than 40 million articles across hundreds of languages. Every month, more than 70,000 volunteer editors contribute to Wikipedia. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded primarily through donations and grants. It currently employs over 240 staff members.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, massages, cooking classes and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location
Senior Back End Developer - Python / AWS - (Full Time/...
18-32 Web Developer (Drupal)
I2I | WALK IN DRIVE FOR CODING GEEKS !