Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At Nike, it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
Nike, Inc., Digital & Technology inspires athletes worldwide to move faster, push harder and pursue their personal best. From personalized training content to access to sport’s top stories, the world of Nike Digital is leveling the playing field like nothing before. This team powers Nike’s entire digital presence, including nike.com and NIKEiD, Nike+ products and mobile applications, digital brand experiences and consumer interactions. Using consumer analytics, statistics, digital marketing, software development and social media, Nike Digital disrupts with new and better ways for consumers to connect with products and each other, delivering sport into the future.
Nike’s primary goal is to serve the athlete, and getting the right product in front of the customer is key to achieving that goal. It is critical that Nike provides relevant data, product suggestions, properly organized product aggregations, marketing and product tie-ins, product discovery journeys and direct access to products for Nike.com’s consumers. The Nike Digital Engineering organization engages customers through multiple web and app experiences. These experiences need a highly available, scalable search solution to address their unique needs and to serve the athlete.
Nike is looking for an ElasticSearch Principal Engineer to drive the strategic planning, tactical implementation and support of Nike Digital Engineering’s ElasticSearch e-commerce solution. The Principal works with multiple stakeholders to solve business problems and communicate strategic vision that spans technical domains and aligns to NDe’s priorities. The Principal Engineer is a technical leader within their assigned domain, providing feature implementations, leadership, mentoring and support. He or she helps facilitate discussions and vet technical solutions both with members of their own development team and across multiple domains. The Principal Engineer stays up to date within the technical space and leads development activities by example. The Principal Engineer leverages Partnerships throughout the organization to deliver a solutions that maximize business value for Nike. These are partnerships that enable understanding of business strategies and help define and enforce overall technical direction within NDe. The Principal Engineer serves as a key technical point of contact within their domain when interfacing with other teams within Nike.
The ideal candidate should have deep experience using and maintaining ElasticSearch in a high traffic, production e-commerce environment and actively operate the solution across seven key pillars: Data Modeling, Query Performance, Search Relevancy, Personalization, Internationalization, Scalability and Monitoring/Support. Experience in all seven pillars is required for the position and the Principal Engineer should be able apply their experience and educate different teams within Nike’s digital engineering capability. The candidate must also work directly with different stakeholders and instruct them on how to leverage the search platform efficiently for a global delivery. This includes partnering with these stakeholders to understand their data, assist in the development of their models, assist in the authoring of their queries and measure the efficiency and relevance of those queries. Also, because Nike is a global brand, the candidate should have experience applying natural language processing techniques, knowledgeable in tokenization techniques across different languages, evaluating compound words and working with non-Latin character languages.
Finally, the Principal is always advocate for doing what’s right by building and supporting software that adheres to NDe’s principles and priorities: Security, Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, Performance and Features.
- Codes and/or provides direction and technical guidance with regards to ElasticSearch, on the most complex coding/development, configuration, and implementation efforts, enhancing the expertise of colleagues.
- Conducts complete diagnoses of business problems, which typically span multiple business functions, systems, and technical domains. Balances and negotiates the needs of multiple stakeholders to define the scope of the solution and desired outcomes that optimize value for the enterprise.
- Leads the design and development of technical solutions that have significant strategic, long-term impact on the business and achieve competitive advantage for the company, aligned with the strategic objectives of Nike and future architectural standards.
- Establishes and communicates a strategic vision for multiple systems and solution areas, helping colleagues translate that vision into sprints and plans for the team(s).
- Provides technical leadership in Nike’s ElasticSearch platform for commerce.
- Ensures the effective performance ElasticSearch across multiple domains and their integration with adjacent and tertiary domains/solutions/technologies.
- Brings search technical knowledge into the organization from external sources and links new, emerging technologies with business needs.
- Acts as a key technical advisor to project teams working with the ElasticSearch platform of the most complex nature (typically crossing functional/business lines); provides unique insights, new research, and novel approaches; and ensures applications/systems fully meet stakeholder needs.
- Drives the development of productive networks with stakeholders, including internal business partners and vendors.
- Ensures technical support and problem resolution for stakeholder inquiries and production issue resolution meets business needs, making changes to processes as needed.
- Maintains awareness of changes to other products/systems that may affect their products/systems, and ensures there is no degradation of service.
What we’re looking for:
- 5+ years working in the search domain
- 5+ years working in an e-commerce environment
- 3+ years experience with ElasticSearch
- 1+ years of data analysis/machine learning
- Deep understanding of ElasticSearch/Lucene
- Skilled in measuring and tuning Search Engine performance
- Experience applying data analytics for search relevancy
- Experience designing, building and deploying highly scalable and fault tolerant systems
- Experience working in a production AWS environment (Lambda, Dynamo, EC2)
- Programming in Java
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
For a list of all of our openings, visit: https://jobs.nike.com/digital