DevOps EngineerPosted by fevrokbot 3 months ago
Lonely Planet is a company that inspires, connects, and helps travellers through all phases of their adventures. Our Digital Product team has been at the forefront of online travel since launching lonelyplanet.com in 1995 and has delivered mobile device travel guides since 1999. We’re passionate about our products and the evolving technologies we use to build them. Our team’s focus is on bringing over 40 years of authored travel content to the world in a way that is engaging for our community, while remaining relevant to individual lifestyles. Across LP we work with large amounts of content from our amazing authors and a growing number of external sources.
We’re currently expanding our DevOps team and are looking for engineers that want to build stuff quickly, possibly break things along the way, and fix it even faster. Our team follows lean principles and values rapid deployment, metrics based engineering, and testing-driven workflows. We work alongside developers to ensure that lonelyplanet.com delivers a reliable and performant product to our users. We challenge engineers to be involved in the product, not just the code, and to work closely with stakeholders to set priorities and goals.
All of our engineering teams love open source and we encourage engineers to open source their work or contribute back to projects. Lonely Planet supports community conferences and meetups, and gets excited when LP engineers give talks about our technology. In addition, Lonely Planet is currently working on a major API initiative with the objective of eventually delivering to outside parties. As a DevOps engineer you will help us enable uniform access to a breadth of up-to-date resources from nearly all of Lonely Planet’s internal services.
This position can be based in either the Nashville or San Francisco office (We will consider remote for the right candidate).
- Believe infrastructure-as-code and automation are indispensable
- Document your work like an absolute mad-woman|man
- Worship at the church of 5 nines
- Are a master of the Linux universe (greybeards welcome, lady-beards too)
- Memorized more AWS acronyms than you care to admit
- Have experienced the challenges of running web services at scale
- Build security in from the beginning
- Can’t live without source code management
- Feel happiest collaborating closely with developers and product teams
- Understand technology problems as part of a broader product vision
We’re big believers in “the right tool for the right job” and encourage engineers to try new technology. But just to give you a taste, this is some of the technology we’re currently fans of:
- AWS (EC2, S3, Cloudformation, RDS, Elasticache, & more)
- Jenkins, Github
- Kong API gateway, Nginx, OpenResty, Varnish
- Application runtimes in Ruby, Elixir, Scala, Python, Go, PHP, Node.js
- Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Redis
- Prometheus, Grafana, Datadog, ELK stack
At Lonely Planet We:
- Support a healthy work-life balance
- Have balanced on-call responsibilities (no extended 24hr periods)
- Provide flexible working arrangements
- Work as a unified team across groups of very talented people
- Are pretty relaxed about most things
- Don’t really care what you wear (so long as you are clothed)
What’s in it for you?
This is an exceptional opportunity to work for a growing team in a globally loved brand in a truly global company, with offices in the UK, US, Australia, Ireland, China & India. You will also receive 3 weeks of vacation, a competitive salary based on your experience and region, 401K and great medical coverage.
Please ensure you submit a cover letter detailing your salary expectations along with your CV telling us why you’d like to join our team.
Lonely Planet participates in the federal government’s E-Verify program. With E-Verify, we are able to confirm the employment authorization of all newly hired employees through an electronic database maintained by the Social Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security. The E-Verify process is completed in conjunction with the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, upon commencement of employment. E-Verify is not used as a tool to pre-screen candidates. For up-to-date information on E-Verify, please go to www.uscis.gov and click on the ‘E-Verify’ logo.
|Job Details||Job Requirements|
|Monthly Salary||Unspecified||Seniority Level||Not Applicable|
|Employment Type||Full Time||Vacancies||0|