Database Software developer
The Roslin Institute
£32,004 - £38,183pa – full time, fixed term for a period of 18 months
Are you a great developer with a knack for making great software and changing your users’ lives? Looking for a great team working on fantastic software used by 1000s of scientists worldwide? The Roslin Institute and the Open Microscopy Environment (OME) is seeking a Software and Devops Engineer to build an international image repository and data processing tools for the life sciences. We already have lots of great functionality, now we need to develop and implement a novel prototype system across the Edinburgh Easter Bush campus to integrate images derived from CT, ultrasound and other imaging systems with clinical data.
No one on our team does only one thing. Technical skills are important, but a willingness to take the initiative to research and suggest new tools is critical - we’ll give you the time and support to learn and extend your skills.
Interested? Send us the goods: Your GitHub profile, apps you have created, teams you have been a part of.
- Leading the installation and commission of a complex and novel prototype system for image analysis across the Easter Bush campus
- Ensuring the correct day to day operation of OMERO services across the campus
- Providing the technical lead in developing the systems and protocols for importing image data (especially automatic importation) and handling time series clinical data
- Leading the development of the interface to permit data sharing, integration of clinical and image data, and availability for wider analysis Requirements:
- Advanced Java programming experience
- Experience with Linux, Mac OS X or any proprietary Unix flavour
- Strong collaborative skills with an eye towards efficiency and creativity
- Experience with large, heterogeneous data structures (e.g., scientific images) Pluses:
- Experience with CI (especially Jenkins)
- Experience in an open source development project
- Experience with high-performance/distributed IO stacks like Hadoop/HDFS, MPI, Ceph, etc.
- Experience with client-server application development
- Experience with RDBMS (especially PostgreSQL)
- Distributed processing
This is a full-time position, at the Roslin Institute in Edinburgh, Scotland. Part-time remote working may be considered. Appointment is to commence immediately on a fixed term basis for a period of 18 months, with an option of extension depending on funding.
For further particulars and to submit an application visit our website www.vacancies.ed.ac.uk
Closing Date: 19th July 2017 Reference: 039229