Perch is a progressive design and development shop based in Little Rock, Arkansas that recently celebrated its 3rd birthday. We do a number of things, but ultimately, what we do best is design and develop beautiful things for humans. We do everything from marketing websites, UI/UX design, web apps, and a little bit of everything in between. Our clients range from startups to mom-and-pop shops to mid- to large-sized companies. Ultimately, we do all things web in order to serve the needs of our clients. We have a roster of great clients, but we’ve felt the pinch as both us and our clients have grown.
That’s where you come in.
Who, What, When: Working Terms
This is an (approximately) 5-month contract position (as close to August 1 as possible through mid- to end of December) that would have you working regular daytime hours* alongside (remotely) our 2-person team 4 days a week (Monday - Thursday). While this is a contract position, there’s a possibility that it could turn into a full-time position†.
This is a remote position, but you must have a permanent United States address. (Sorry! We know there's awesome devs around the world, but things like taxes and other working dynamics become a big headache.)
\*We require you to work "normal" daytime hours that are dedicated solely to Perch work. What that means is that you’ll work 8 hours a day and at least 5-6ish of those hours overlap with our team (somewhere in the 8am - 6pm range, based off Central timezone hours). During that time, we expect you to be working on only Perch work and plugged into our Slack channel (and responsive to email/Basecamp). You're absolutely free to work on other contract work beyond those hours.
†While there is no guarantee of contract-to-hire, if the fit is good and the need persists, we are open to bringing you on as a full-time employee at the end of the contract period.
Show Me the Money: Compensation
This is a 1099 position that will pay $2,100 twice monthly. (This is based on working Monday - Thursday, 8 hours a day. You will not be paid for discretionary days off or holidays off. Those days are defined below.) There are no other benefits (health, 401k, etc) offered, but we've got some nice perks listed below.
The Goods: Key Things We’re Looking For
This is different than other contract positions where you’d go off and work on a project on your own, isolated from our team. There will be back and forth sharing of ideas, design, and code (don't worry, we’re all about not bothering each other and preventing focus). You’ll be expected to keep “normal” daytime hours Monday - Thursday (see note above about working hours expectations).
Considering the audience and the goals before jumping into a project is critical. We do our best to create well-considered, pleasing web experiences. Paying super close attention to details (especially in the front-end) and crafting custom experiences is what our clients expect and what sets apart our shop.
As mentioned, close attention to detail is critical to our success. Whereas design-to-dev isn’t a walled-off, isolated process, our developers are expected to execute designs as delivered. You are expected to work with design (and our lead developer) to assure the designs have been properly thought through to assure project success.
Professional interactions with clients (email/Basecamp, chat, video conference, etc.) is a regular and important part of your job. In addition to clients, clear and professional communication internally is at the core of every project’s success (or lack thereof). The good news, though, is that we don’t take ourselves too seriously, so joking around and keeping a super laid-back atmosphere is super important to us.
Dessert First: Small Shop, Big Perks
Whereas we offer fair compensation, we doubt you’re gonna be making it rain in the clubs. What we lack in providing all your spare kindling money, we make up for with a really great company culture that includes some pretty sweet perks. Here’s a few of the biggies:
- A 32-hour work week. (Fridays are all yours!)
- Time off policy (yep, even with a contract position): 2 discretionary days (16 hours total), as well as days off for Labor Day, Thanksgiving (Thursday and Friday), and Christmas (Monday and Tuesday).
- Super laid-back, casual environment.
- Work from anywhere (in the US) & relatively flexible hours.
- No meticulous time-tracking (woo hoo!)
The Basics: Requirements
- Demonstrable experience building WordPress themes/plugins
- Understanding of all things WordPress: WP installation, coding & security best practices, Custom Post Types, Advanced Custom Fields, etc
- PHP, SASS/LESS, CSS/3, HTML/5, MYSQL, JQUERY
- Git version control
- Own a reliable computer* that can handle development work and design applications (Sketch, etc)
\*For contract positions, Perch does not provide a computer. You must supply your own. Some software will likely be purchased or made available by Perch.
Bonus Points: Not required, but preferential
- Having a Mac makes life easier for everybody, but Windows computers are fine
- LAMP/LEMP server management/understanding (our lead developer will handle all this, but it's super awesome if you understand the ins and outs.)
- Competent in or at least cursory knowledge of Sketch (for design hand-off)
Day-to-day: What You’d Actually Be Doing
- Building custom websites (front-end and back-end)
- Working alongside our lead designer and lead developer to plan and execute projects
- Handling existing support tickets/issues (mostly via Basecamp and Slack)
- Communicating with clients (mostly via Basecamp)
- CMS training for clients (this will likely be handled by our lead developer, but it's possible that this could be a responsibility)
- Collaborating on estimates/proposals
Show some Personality: Application Notes
This is your opportunity to stand out. Please let us know you care. We’re a small team, so finding someone we can relate to and feel good about working alongside makes a huge difference. And knowing you actually want this position is a big bonus.
If that’s you, please submit the following:
Job Perks: 32-hour work week. (Fridays are all yours!) • Time off: 2 discretionary days (16 hours total), as well as Labor Day, Thanksgiving (Thursday & Friday), and Christmas (Monday & Tuesday). • Super laid-back, casual environment. • Work from anywhere (in the US) & flexible hours. • No time-tracking (woo hoo!)