About the New York Academy of Sciences
The New York Academy of Sciences is an independent, not-for-profit organization that since 1817 has been committed to advancing science, technology, and society worldwide. With more than 20,000 members in 100 countries around the world, the Academy is creating a global community of science for the benefit of humanity. The Academy's core mission is to advance scientific knowledge, positively impact the major global challenges of society with science-based solutions, and increase the number of scientifically informed individuals in society at large. Please visit us online at www.nyas.org.
JOB TITLE: Web Content Specialist
REPORTS TO: Manager, Web Content & Production
Functioning under the direction of the Web Content & Production Manager, this position is specifically responsible for administration of the CMS for the Academy through collaboration with all departments to revise, update, edit and/or enhance the Academy’s website to ensure quality, accuracy and timeliness of web content.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the Academy’s website.
- Prepare and publish content to the website, and assist others in content preparation.
- Render images and templates, enhancing existing UI/UX.
- As needed, assist with collection, publishing and updating all event details for current and upcoming meetings, conferences and events.
- Communicate regularly with program managers/coordinators to address requests concerning departmental website content.
- Train staff how to use Umbraco, the Academy’s new CMS.
- Assist Web Developers with designing and implementing new web content and features.
- Manage multimedia assets.
- Schedule meetings with various internal teams (project/event managers) to discuss content.
- Assist with the review of user contributed content to ensure adherence to established style guide.
- Work as a team member with Marketing Department staff to utilize the website as an integral and consistent part of the overall marketing efforts of the Academy.
- Work with Online Marketing Manager, Membership/Marketing Director, and other team members to launch new web initiatives, as the needs arise.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with outside hosting providers/developers and media contributors.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (i.e. Computer Science, Web Design, Marketing, Web Media, etc.) required.
- 2-5 years’ experience working with web content, HTML, and Content Management Systems (CMS). Familiarity with Umbraco a plus.
- Experience with a graphics editing program, image optimization (Adobe Photoshop); experience with theme customization and troubleshooting.
- Effective communication skills to exchange information and to respond to inquiries and requests for assistance.
- Ability to coordinate and handle multiple projects simultaneously and work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to organize cross-functional efforts with multiple stages and people involved.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to identify conflicting or confusing content on the Academy’s website and recommend or implement revisions.
- Ability to serve as the point person on the CMS, including training others.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filling cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
The Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer seeking a diverse workforce. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package to both full-time and part-time staff that includes affordable health care insurance, tuition reimbursement, retirement plan, and liberal vacation time and holiday schedule.