Mic helps our generation understand what’s happening in the world, why it matters, and how it impacts them. Our writers cover the topics that matter most to young people, offering original news, analysis and perspective that you won’t find anywhere else. We currently reach more than 19 million monthly readers, and our readership has grown by 200% in the past year.
Mic is a diverse news and media company for young people. Our mission is to inform, inspire, and empower our generation to make change happen. Each month, more than 65 million young people rely on Mic to make sense of the world.
Mic is looking for a highly motivated, passionate science and innovation writer to work with our The Future Is Now team to produce engaging, informative and high-quality stories about the latest scientific breakthroughs in tech, engineering, energy, space travel, transportation, urban living and more. This applicant must have their finger on the pulse of the things that are moving mankind forward — and even beyond Earth — from the latest developments in renewable energy to the technologies that are taking humans one step closer to colonizing other planets.
This person should understand how readers consume science news through their social media feeds, Google search and direct-to-consumer products such as newsletters.
This is a part-time, four-month contract position, and writers are required to work remotely.
- Write quickly and accurately under tight deadlines
- Be able to follow proper protocol around sourcing
- Spot news early and pitch editors original story angles
- Familiarity with Mic and its voice
- Ability to create clean, high-quality copy under very tight deadlines
- Ability to write comfortably and competently about science and innovation topics
- Be social media savvy, able to monitor Google, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Reddit, and wherever else breaking and trending story opportunities can be found
- Strong knowledge of AP style
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or English preferred