POSITION TITLE – Senior Magento Developer
Corporate Overview: A pioneer in the lifelong-learning market, The Teaching Company is a popular and growing media company that produces The Great Courses: a series of comprehensive and engaging, university-level, video and audio courses taught by the world’s greatest professors without the pressure of schedules, homework, or exams.
The Great Courses cover a wide variety of topics ranging from traditional liberal arts subjects, such as philosophy, history, literature, and the sciences, to practical classes, in photography, foreign languages, health and wellness, business skills, and much more. The company has ongoing partnerships with venerable educational brands such as the Smithsonian, National Geographic, Mayo Clinic, The Culinary Institute of America, and others.
The Teaching Company has developed a catalog of over 700 courses comprising over 8,900 hours of content. The Great Courses are delivered to customers via digital streaming, DVD, and CD sales on the e-commerce site www.TheGreatCourses.com; and, most recently, through The Great Courses Plus, a digital subscription platform that PC Magazine has called “Netflix for Learning.” The Great Courses can be found on Amazon Instant Video, Amazon Channels, Comcast Xfinity Video on Demand, Audible.com, Recorded Books, Kanopy, Hoopla, and more.
The Great Courses also has highly rated apps available across most major app platforms, including iOS, Android, Kindle Fire, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and Amazon Alexa.
Since its establishment in 1990, The Teaching Company has sold more than 25 million courses and prominent and loyal customers of The Teaching Company include Bill Gates, Charles Schwab, and George Lucas, to name a few.
The Teaching Company is seeking a software developer with ecommerce experience to support our Magento Platform based development, customization, maintenance, and troubleshooting. This position requires software development skills, knowledge of PHP, Zend, and the Magento Enterprise Ecommerce platform.
Reports to: Director, Application Development
Essential Duties and Responsibilities will include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation including both design and functional documents
- Perform a mix of new software development, enhancements and defect resolution as required
- Implement project applications according to specifications
- Research technical issues and provide recommendations to enhance company web sites
- Work with external partners in the design and development of software solutions
- Mentor junior development staff in Magento and PHP related technologies
- Identify and troubleshoot issues as needed
- Support research on emerging Magento software extensions, standards, and design patterns in support of development efforts
- Cultivate and disseminate knowledge of Magento development best practices
- Liaise with network administrators, system analysts, programmers, and business stakeholders to resolve any defects
- Administer diagnostics to improve software stability and eliminate performance bottlenecks or security vulnerabilities
The ideal candidate for the PHP/Magento Developer position at The Teaching Company will have:
- Bachelor’s in computer science or equivalent experience preferred
- 5+ years of Magento Ecommerce development experience
- 5+ years’ developing PHP on top of Zend or Symfony framework
- Solid understanding of OOP
- Knowledge and demonstrated usage of design patterns
- Working knowledge of development tools, PHP Storm, SourceTree, GIT, MySQL Workbench
- Demonstrated professional development experience with Web Services frameworks and RESTful API standards
- Strong understanding of Linux
- Strong understanding of MS-SQL and/or MySQL
- Excellent grasp of database design and normalization rules
- Direct experience working in Agile software development methodology
- Good understanding of Web analytics and SEO techniques
- Experience extending or customizing existing products/frameworks such as Drupal or Magento
- Strong debugging skills with the ability to reach out and work with internal and external stakeholders to solve complex problems
- Problem solving and time management skills
- Ability to work in both an individual and team-based environment
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamic AX or similar ERP system desired
- Experience with Digital Media Delivery Platforms and Players desired