Software Engineer - Full Stack Web Engineer, Multimediaنشر بواسطة fevrokbot منذ 5 أشهر
We’re looking for a full stack web engineer who can make beautiful and efficient web experiences and APIs, refining the upload user experience and dramatically improving the process of classifying and consuming the images, videos, audio, and other media so integral to the Wikipedia experience. Are you ready to write open source code for one of the most impactful web properties in the world?
The Wikimedia Commons project is the world’s largest repository of freely licensed educational media. The Wikimedia Foundation has embarked on a project to partner with the Commons community to integrate machine-readable data into this project to make the content more accessible to the world. You will initially focus on enhancement and development of user-facing tools for uploading and classifying media, as well as using structured data to improve the multimedia discovery and consumption experiences. Upon completion, you will be responsible for building the next generation of multimedia technology for the Wikimedia properties.
You will work closely with members from the Wikimedia Foundation product and technology team, community engagement, and our organizational affiliate Wikimedia Deutschland on these objectives.
We’d like you to do these things:
- Create RESTful microservices in MediaWiki PHP and Node.js
- Provide guidance to third party application and workflow tool developers on effective use of Wikimedia APIs and data migration techniques
- Curate and maintain a set of key performance indicators for core features
- Profile, analyze, and optimize code performance
We’d like you to have these qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems, or equivalent
- 3 years highly scalable web application development in PHP (or equivalent high scale web app experience with at least one year in PHP)
- 2 years highly scalable RESTful services development experience
- 2 years highly scalable memcached/Redis usage (or equivalent experience)
We’d like you to have these skills:
- Depth in HTML5, CSS, and modern web standards for desktop and mobile web
- API architecture
- Interest in the intersection of performance and user perception
- An understanding and love of knowledge and open access
- An affinity for multimedia file formats and storytelling
- Focused software engineering: you enjoy writing unit tests, reviewing code and responding to code reviews, and discussing architectural approach
And it would be even more awesome if you have these:
- Experience integrating structured metadata into tools and end user applications
- Familiarity with Wikidata
- Specialized knowledge in parsing HTML and semi-structured documents
- Familiarity with native app development for iOS and Android
- Applied computer vision and machine learning expertise
- Experience using CI tools like Travis or Jenkins
- Experience in Puppet
- Exposure to natural language processing
- A history of open source contribution
- Experience with Wikipedia editing / Wikimedia Commons contribution / MediaWiki / Wikitext
- Bonus if you have experience with Varnish or other CDN implementations
If you have any existing open source software that you've developed (these could be your own software or patches to other packages), please share the URLs for the source. Links to GitHub are exceptionally useful.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and hosts Wikipedia and several other Wikimedia free knowledge sites. Every month, the Wikimedia sites are accessed by more than a billion unique devices. Wikipedia consists of more than 40 million articles across hundreds of languages. Every month, more than 70,000 volunteer editors contribute to Wikipedia. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded primarily through donations and grants. It currently employs over 240 staff members.
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
|الراتب الشهري||غير محدد||مستوى الأقدمية||غير قابل للتطبيق|
|نوع التوظيف||دوام كامل||العطل||0|