solidThinking, an Altair company, is seeking a Software Engineer to contribute to the new multi-body extension of the award winning Inspire package. solidThinking Inspire enables design engineers, product designers, and architects to create and investigate structurally efficient concepts quickly and easily. Traditional structural simulations allow engineers to check if a design will support the required loads. Inspire enhances this process by generating a new material layout within a package space using the loads as an input. The software is easy to learn and works with existing CAD tools to help design structural parts right the first time, reducing costs, development time, material consumption, and product weight.
The Software Engineer will be adding new functionality to the Python-based multi-body extension, so that we can more easily design or move mechanisms in 3D virtual space. This includes adding code to the underlying data model, sending the information to our own multi-body solver, or by creating graphical user interfaces. Having an engineering background is a plus, but not required. You will also be responsible for recommending how to improve C++ product to enhance the Python interface.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Solve development problems finding simple, elegant solutions.
- Implement test code to ensure those solutions do not regress.
- Understand the Python architecture and contribute to its feature set.
- Communicate with the Inspire core team and wrap C++ functionality.
- Analyze feature specifications, looking for oversights and communicating them back.
- Fix software defects correctly, and in a timely manner.
- Develop high quality source material for user documentation.
- Contribute creative ideas for innovative and easy-to-use user interfaces.
- Participate in development and planning efforts.
- High proficiency in C++ and Python programming languages is required.
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant experience required.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related required. A Master’s degree is a plus.
- Ability to create clean APIs with an easy to read/maintain implementation.
- Appreciation for creating clean graphical user interfaces.
- Experience with OpenGL, OpenSceneGraph, or Qt is a plus.
- Work experience with CAD or CAE (FE, MBD, CFD) software is desirable.
- Ability to stay focused and to generate high quality results in a short amount of time.
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills for working effectively on a small team.
- Dedicated and motivated toward accomplishing team objectives.
- Experienced in developing commercial applications for Windows, Linux, or Mac systems.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Altair’s corporate culture thrives on seeking out business and technology firsts to radically change the way organizations design products and make decisions.
Founded in 1985, Altair is focused on the development and application of simulation technology to synthesize and optimize designs, processes and decisions for improved business performance. Privately held with more than 2,600 employees, Altair is headquartered in Troy, Michigan, USA with more than 45 offices throughout 20 countries, and serves more than 5,000 corporate clients across broad industry segments.
Our passion is developing and applying technology in new and inventive ways to help our clients succeed through increased innovation intelligence.
We innovate constantly in the way we design, the products we create and the business models we experiment with. We aggressively employ our software tools and product development methods, leveraging high-performance computing and data analytics, so that we can play an enabling role in the great things our clients are accomplishing. We strongly believe that bringing simulation software and rapid manufacturing technology forward in the design process can be a source of inspiration along with a winning response to accelerated product lifecycles.