Who is Modea?
Modea was founded in 2006 with the purpose of solving age old problems. Over the past 10 years we’ve worked with great clients like Verizon, Disney, Graco, and Newell-Rubbermaid. Our work is rooted in designing and building innovative digital strategies for these (and many other) clients. We’re based in Blacksburg, VA, which provides a unique blend of small town feel + top 10 engineering school (Virginia Tech) + amazing access to outdoor experiences. We love our little, mountain home.
Where are we headed?
After several iterations as a company, we’ve recently refined our strategy to focus exclusively on solving one of our nation’s toughest problem’s - healthcare. Specifically, we seek to bring healthcare companies into the modern era by helping them to design and build consumer-grade digital tools to improve the customer experience for patients and physicians. Here are a few ways to get to know our work in healthcare:
- Check out the Duke Health website. We designed and built the entire thing.
- Read this blog post about some work we did with ImagineCare, a joint venture between Microsoft and Dartmouth-Hitchcock.
- Search for a doctor at Carilion Clinic. We recently helped them transform this experience.
What does a Software Engineer do at Modea?
We tackle client projects as cross-functional teams made up of software engineers, designers, project managers, strategists and web analysts. These teams work very closely with each other and the client to architect and build awesome, consumer-grade experiences.
We're currently looking for someone passionate about solving problems with technology and ready to take their game to the next level by building great software. The right person for this role understands what it takes to build and deliver high-quality software and has a strong understanding of software engineering principles. This is a full-time position located at our headquarters in Blacksburg, VA.
Here are a few specific things we’d be looking for you to do:
- Software Engineering Best Practices: We pride ourselves on delivering quality software solutions, and we rely on following good software engineering best practices. We are looking for someone who will champion this is every aspect of development and delivery of our work. Be prepared to share what all this encompasses for you and how to build software the right way.
What are you looking for?
Here is a list of skills and qualities that are critical to this role:
- Be a great listener and communicator (oral and written)
- Be naturally curious and love problem solving
- Have at least 1-2 years of software engineering or equivalent education
- Be pleasant to work with and a team player
- Be passionate about software development and ready to share your favorite blogs, authors, development communities, latest technology, etc.
Additionally, here is a list of skills and qualities we’d like you to have:
- Understands mobile-first and responsive web design
- Experience building mobile apps
- Development experience with content management systems
- Have experience leading other people (coaching, mentoring, interviewing, etc.)
- Active in various software development communities
Why should I apply?
First, you’ll love the work we do and the people you’ll get to do it with. We’ve assembled an exceptionally smart and hardworking team and you’ll enjoy the work associations and general camaraderie with other “Modeans.” We also work with great clients who value our contributions and work side-by-side with us.
Second, Modea offers a great benefit package that provides both a fun and enjoyable workplace and great perks that will improve your quality of life:
- Modern, open plan office
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Weekly team lunch
- Regular employee events (parties, community service, etc.)
- Discounted gym membership
- Paid downtown parking
- Generous health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k with fully vested company matching
- Long term & short term disability
So what’s the working environment like here at Modea? Well, it's a fast-paced, no-holds-barred, product development atmosphere—but with a family feeling. There are things like free lunch Fridays, company parties or tailgates, and the occasional chili cook-off. We have fun, but we work hard too. We win together, and we face challenges together. And together, we’re developing world-class technology solutions for our clients.
If you’ve read to this point you should probably apply. Not ready? Shoot us a note at email@example.com with any questions.