The Henry M. Jackson Foundation (hjf.org) is looking for a Software Developer to join the U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command’s Biotechnology High Performance Computing Software Applications Institute (bhsai.org). HJF provides scientific, technical, and programmatic support services to the BHSAI.
BHSAI develops computational solutions to accelerate research in the Department of Defense (DoD) and broader biotechnology and medical community. At BHSAI, we enjoy solving hard problems. Scientific and computational expertise of our staff, coupled with the DoD supercomputing assets, provide a unique environment for cutting-edge, computational-experimental interdisciplinary research.
Requirements The software developer will create and maintain a wide variety of software solutions to support life science research areas. We make many of these software solutions publicly available (bhsai.org/software). Because the work and technologies involved vary from project to project, we look for candidates with expertise and interests in a broad range of areas, from systems programming to web and mobile app development. Expertise in designing databases and web-based user interfaces is highly desirable.
The minimum requirements for the software developer position are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related discipline
- Expertise in one or more programming languages, such as C/C++ or Java
- Knowledge of at least one scripting language, such as Python or Ruby
- Understanding of relational database concepts and SQL
- Hands-on experience in professional or open source software development in one or more of the following areas: web, mobile, real-time systems, and graphical user interfaces
The following skills and experience are desired:
- Hands on experience in designing databases and web-based user interfaces
- Knowledge of Spring and Hibernate
- Experience using a source code version control system, such as Git
- Knowledge of DevOps, continuous integration, and continuous delivery
- Knowledge of Windows and Linux system administration
Foreign nationals (OPT, H1B, permanent residents) and U.S. citizens are encouraged to apply. A background requirement is that the employee must have lived in the U.S. three out of the last five years. This position is located in Frederick, Maryland.