As Time Inc. continues to invest in streamlining their business and improving our software practices and efficiencies across all of our brands, we are seeking a capable and talented Software Architect to help define and build Time Inc.'s next-generation data platform. This individual will participate in the ideation of and delivery of key aspects of our new architecture ranging from data ingestion, consumer behavioral insights, machine learning, data governance and customer privacy. The scope of this role is all aspects of data management for Time Inc. and its brands.
This role will involve software development of key data platform modules for Time Inc.'s next-generation data platform ecosystem. Responsibilities for engineering will span all aspects of data, including but not limited to: data ingestion, governance, machine learning, analytics and insights and personalization systems. You will contribute to the ecosystem's design and architecture, and be responsible for detailed design of full vertical modules within the data platform. This role involves both coaching/mentoring of other engineers as well as significant hands-on engineering. Strong test-driven development skills and incremental and rapid iteration in your development ethic is critical for this fast-moving and key initiative for Time Inc. Proven track-record of developing large-scale systems using service-oriented architecture and cloud technologies is a must as that will be part of your routine role. Our efforts will include both individual system development as well as assessment and integration of third-party software products. Knowledge and experience utilizing standardized APIs and specifications are preferred. Knowledge in the data space around data management, ingestion, and learning is a must. Experience with data related cloud technologies such as AWS Redshift, S3, Kinesis, Lambda, RDS, Aurora, EMR are strongly desired as well as experience with data science technologies such as neo4j and R.
Experience and Requirements
- Master's or higher degree in Computer Science or similar technical field
- 10+ years in software development using Java or equivalent development languages
- 5+ years in technical leadership experience, demonstrating increasing impact and sphere of influence
- Experience building and operating large scale, distributed, service oriented systems
- Experience building and operating high volume consumer-facing software products
- Experience in designing and defining APIs and services used by developers
- Expert systems design and coding skills
- Proven ability to deliver reliable, maintainable and performant software solutions
- Strong data analysis and debugging skills
- Experience working with data storage and/or management platforms as well as machine learning preferred.
- Experience working in Python, NodeJS or similar Lambda-supported languages
Ideal Additional Qualifications
- Experience with AWS Kinesis, Data Migration Service, Data Pipeline, SQS and other data movement technologies is a plus.
- Experience with Oozie, Sqoop, Flume, Falcon, Kafka, Storm, Spark and/or other Hadoop Ecosystem components are a plus.
- Experience working in serverless environments such as AWS Lambda
- Experience in ETL/ELT workflow management is a plus.
- Experience with Big Data database components such as Hive, AWS Redshift, and/or AWS DynamoDB is a plus.
Time Inc. (NYSE:TIME) is a leading content company that engages over 150 million consumers every month through our portfolio of premium brands across platforms. By combining our distinctive content with our proprietary data and people-based targeting, we offer highly differentiated end-to-end solutions to marketers across the multimedia landscape. Our influential brands include People, Time, Fortune, Sports Illustrated, InStyle, Real Simple and Southern Living, as well as more than 50 diverse titles in the United Kingdom. Time Inc. has been extending the power of our brands through various acquisitions and investments, including Viant, an advertising technology firm with a specialized people-based marketing platform; The Foundry, Time Inc.’s creative lab and content studio; and the People Entertainment Weekly Network (PEN). The company is also home to celebrated events, such as the Time 100, Fortune Most Powerful Women, People’s Sexiest Man Alive, Sports Illustrated’s Sportsperson of the Year, the Essence Festival and the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen.