Dictionary.com is a profitable, growing, and massive website with over 50 million unique users per month. More people visit Dictionary.com every year than go to the movies. Our customer base includes anyone who wants to feel smarter and communicate better. Our family of free, advertising-supported sites: Dictionary.com, Thesaurus.com and Reference.com provide accurate and exhaustive definitions, synonyms, examples, pronunciations, translations, and more for millions of words. We create innovative and timely products to facilitate learning and intellectual growth, such as the Word of the Day which is enjoyed by 1 million people every day. Our vision is to go beyond a simple web utility and become the #1 trusted and inspirational brand for words and word meanings anywhere.
This role is a part-time freelance editor looking to work roughly 20 hours a week. We welcome remote/telecommute candidates (US only please) but if you’re in Oakland or SF Bay Area, come on by! Salary expectations are $15-$17/hr.
Dictionary.com is looking for a creative and motivated news junky to join our Marketing team as a Social Media Editor. This is a fast paced and dynamic environment, where you will be responsible for connecting Dictionary.com with emerging culture and trends and creatively bringing them to life through Twitter. The right candidate will be a passionate and strategic self-starter who’s willing and able to put Dictionary.com on the map as an influential, thought provoking brand engaged with current culture and news.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Use social media to drive awareness of and traffic to our brand
- Be responsive to breaking events that provide Dictionary.com an opportunity to be a part of the conversation
- Seek out and identify key topics and events Dictionary.com can comment on
- Maintain the physical posting on Twitter
- Earn trust internally and externally with many different audiences and stakeholders
- Be creative and develop engaging social media content that’s aligned with the company brand, personality and point of view.
- Make quick strategic decisions with good judgement and creative thought
- Think and communicate clearly – formulate a clear point of view on complicated issues and create a concise and well-written narrative to express it
Our expectations for qualifications are:
- 3+ years of experience creating and executing social media, PR, and/or marketing strategies
- Understanding of Gen Z and Millennial culture norms
- Healthy obsession with current news and culture
- An innate curiosity about language and how it intersects with the human experience
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Hands-on experience publishing to Twitter
- Relationships with Press and influencers a plus
- Demonstrated track record of driving social and audience development through social networks
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and run with ideas
- Ability to think strategically and creatively under tight deadlines
- Applicant must provide portfolio or examples of work
We are an equal opportunity employer.