Senior Web Developers at Treehouse are leaders in the engineering organization committed to delivering a product roadmap that exceeds our students’ expectations and achieves the company’s mission. They demonstrate technical expertise and ability to implement software development best practices in support of department goals.
This job can be remote (anywhere in the US), or work from our headquarters in Portland, OR.
- Deliver Results– Is able to self manage multiple areas of work focus typically between team project commitments and Engineering initiatives. Can accommodate aggressive deadlines.
- Solve Problems– Leads problem analysis and solution recommendations that specifically address the needs and goals of the business. Is skilled at root cause analysis.
- Build in Quality– Writes code that meets our formatting and architectural standards. Consistently performs code reviews to other team members. Works to improve the quality of our code and architecture while implementing their other tasks; exemplify rule: “leave the code better than you found it.” Actively contributes to the automated test suite to increase coverage and improve automation framework. Focuses on non-functional test development (Security, performance, load, etc). Contributes to and maintains domain documentation.
- Leadership– Sphere of influence impacts the Engineering department. Works with business stakeholders to understand project requirements and translate business needs into technical solutions. Is able to identify challenges to success in our culture, code base, tests, and process and works with Leads or Managers to formulate and implement a solution. Expected to help lead team project planning and retrospectives. Is an active contributor to the Engineering Leaders meeting and the tech community at large (ie: meetups and conferences).
- Professional Growth of Self and Others– Continuously works to self-educate about new practices and ideas in software development, leadership and other applicable topics. Helps develop professional development plans tailored to the needs of an individual. Consistently provides mentorship to apprentice, junior and or mid level engineers. Plans and leads department wide growth training related to new technologies and best practices.
- Bring Trust and Dependability– Provides leadership on projects that enable Engineering teams to meet their commitments. Provides accurate status of multiple project teams and cross project team engineering efforts. Serves as the backup to their manager in his/her absence. Effectively communicates and partners with teammates, manager, and stakeholders to achieve individual, team, and project goals. Effectively works in a distributed team environment. Demonstrates the ability to adapt as the external environment and organization evolves.
- Live Treehouse Mission and Values– Actively demonstrates the Treehouse Mission and Values in their daily work life. Communicates how Engineering projects and initiatives reflect the Treehouse Mission and Values. Consistently works to articulate The Treehouse Way through the Engineering blog. Serves as a role model to others living these values.
- 5 or more years of web development, preferably with Ruby/Rails or in a very similar framework and language (e.g. Python/Django) OR 3 or more years of experience with the Treehouse code base or equivalent experience.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of advanced CS topics like testing practices, concurrent programming, relational databases and algorithm design, as well as, advanced topics in object-oriented design, including SOLID, Composite Reuse, and Dependency Injection
- Experience coaching developers in good object-oriented design principles
- Experience coaching developers in the proper application of design patterns
- Experience implementing software development best practices
- Experience integrating and utilizing 3rd party libraries and tools
- Knowledge of web application security considerations and potential threats
- Experience working directly with customers to meet business objectives
- Experience working in an agile, cross disciplined team environment with remote members
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
In addition to joining a fun and innovative company and working in a team-centered, flexible workplace, you’ll enjoy the following:
- Healthcare: Coverage for medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- PTO: 3+ weeks PTO, federal holidays, and 1 week off in late December
- Retirement: 401(k) contribution match – Dollar-for-dollar up to 6% of your salary
- Continued Learning: $1,500 annual education budget (conferences, books, classes, etc.)
- Friends & Family: Share Treehouse learning with the ones you love
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Wellness Allowance
Benefits are subject to change