Senior Product Designer
Smashcut's is building an online film school to empower emerging filmmakers with a best-in-class filmmaking education within a mentor-driven, project-based, interactive program. We are an early stage start-up seeking to hire a talented design leader who share our values in quality and innovation to help us produce and market a product that's simple to understand, easy to use and fun to experience.
We are looking for a strong and experienced Senior Product Designer who will report to the head of product. You will work collaboratively with Founder/CEO, product & design talents and a team of engineers to bring our vision to a platform that solves real problems and bring real values to the customers.
What you will do:
- Design and deliver new concepts and design solutions based on the product blueprint.
- Own the end-to-end design process and communication, including wireframes, high-fidelity mock ups, user interaction flows, and the implementation with the engineers.
- Oversee the entire design of the web app (desktop and mobile web) as well as the mobile apps on iOS and Android platform.
- Manage the design of marketing and user communication channels including the branding, marketing website, email templates, and other event specific offline collaterals.
- Review, delegate and manage design workload with in-house design consultants or external agencies as needed.
- Be the champion of design standards and consistency as well as the new trends and innovations applicable to our product.
Skills and knowledge you should possess:
- 5-10 years of experience as a web product designer, user experience designer, interaction designer, or similar UI/UX-related role with accompanying experience in visual/graphic design.
- Strong experience with iterative product design work with a single web/mobile product or client.
- Experience creating design prototypes or highly detailed wireframes.
- Strong ability to communicate your design vision verbally or via writing, sketching, or quick mock ups to small or large groups of stakeholders.
- Strong ability to defend of your design decision rationally and accept critical feedback with openness.
- An online portfolio or samples of work demonstrating relevant experience, especially work that demonstrates your ability to simplify complex concepts or UX.
- Strong to expert level skills in HTML and CSS.
- Well-rounded understanding of user-centered design process, as well as strong knowledge of user experience principles.
- Experience working in a collaborative and iterative team environment.
- Perennial self starter that can create schedules and define scope of work even without explicit requirements and direction.
- Experience in directly relevant fields such as video, filmmaking, online education/instructional, social online community, paid subscription model, etc.
- Experience with modern project management and communication tools such as Github, Basecamp, Slack, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.
- Experience with working remotely, participating in weekly check-ins via video chat, flexible hours of collaboration with those in different timezones, social engagement with fellow teammates via group chat, willingness to travel for occasional team meetings, etc.
- Candidates in NY/NJ/CT area preferred. Candidates in EST timezone strongly preferred.
A little bit about us:
Smashcut is building an online film school. A mentor-driven, project-based curriculum will provide an innovative and affordable alternative to existing film education options. Upon acceptance, students are assigned industry mentors who will guide them through a variable-paced interdisciplinary curriculum comprised of Screenwriting, Cinematography, Directing, Editing - with Sound Design and Cinema Studies incorporated throughout. For a fraction of the price of traditional film schools, Smashcut will provide technical skills, aesthetic concepts, mentor-student relationships, and career guidance. By increasing access to a meaningful media creation curriculum, Smashcut will champion a diverse population of emerging film students, and usher in a much needed democratization of film education.
Interested? Please contact us with your resume at: