Why Carbon Black?
At Carbon Black, you’ll have the chance to make an impact in the ever-evolving cybersecurity space. Our advanced technology tackles even the toughest challenges and stays ahead of the latest threats.
If you want to join a growing company filled with people who are passionate about beating the world’s nastiest adversaries, Carbon Black is the place for you. We’ve been named a “Top Place to Work” by the Boston Globe for three consecutive years because our teams are the best at keeping the world safe. Join us!
Why You Matter:
The Cb Response platform team is building an essential security defense against advance persistent threats and malware through comprehensive measurement, detection, protection, and trust capabilities. Our work is deep inside operating systems—Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux—and we’re looking for team members that like to pry them open and innovate in the gaps. You’re probably a good fit for the team if:
- You’re fluent in C++ (both OO and generic constructs) and understand the code that is generated
- You can easily find your way around a storage stack, task scheduler, or virtual memory
- You don’t feel dirty poking around a core dump, reading assembly, or reverse engineering things
- You relish hard problems in security, virtualization, stream processing, forensics, and cryptography
- You write robust, reliable code
- You enjoy a fast paced, high energy, high output team
- You have the computer science background to do so effectively and efficiently
This position is focused on Windows, familiarity with filter and file system drivers is valuable as is general experience with the Visual Studio, the WDK and Windbg. As a Principal Software Engineer, you will lead the development of major functional and component areas from inception through delivery.
You’ll be part of a small team of smart talented people like yourself. The team shares a sense of purpose and urgency, but in a fun, friendly and informal atmosphere typical of young innovative technology companies. All doors are always open. You’ll work on problems we haven’t figured out and enjoy the satisfaction of having an impact on our success.
What You’ll Do:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design, develop, test, document and maintain complex software features from general specifications.
- Apply proven patterns, design principles and software engineering practices to develop quality software.
- Plan and take responsibility for multiple features through the complete software development lifecycle.
- Analyze, isolate and resolve problems in product software with little or no guidance.
- Respond to high-priority issues quickly and drive to resolution and customer satisfaction.
- Lead and contribute to reviews of software artifacts and give considered, high-quality feedback.
- Evaluate, select and adapt standard techniques, tools and procedures in the delivery of features.
- Independently collaborate with peers and with other functional organizations to achieve project goals.
- Plan and schedule work and tasks across multiple features, manage dependencies, change and risk.
- Lead projects and the delivery of multiple features to successful conclusion with a minimum of guidance.
- Provide technical supervision and mentoring of one or more engineers.
- Recommend new features, technologies, tools, process improvements.
- Deliver technical training and training materials for other functional organizations in the company.
What You’ll Bring:
- At least nine years of software engineering in a product development organization
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- At least five years recent experience building systems-level software (e.g. kernel modules, agents).
- Deep knowledge in at least two related product or technical areas such as file systems or distributed systems.
- A record of efficient, creative solutions to complex problems and successful incorporation in product delivery.
- Practical experience in C++ with applied knowledge of object oriented and generic programming.
- Fluent in approaches to security, concurrency, debugging, performance, scalability, supportability and quality.
Who We Are
Carbon Black is the leading provider of next-generation endpoint security. Carbon Black’s Next-Generation Antivirus (NGAV) solution, Cb Defense, leverages breakthrough prevention technology, “Streaming Prevention,” to instantly see and stop cyberattacks before they execute. Cb Defense uniquely combines breakthrough prevention with market-leading detection and response into a single, lightweight agent delivered through the cloud. With more than 7 million endpoints under management, Carbon Black has more than 2,500 customers, including 30 of the Fortune 100. These customers use Carbon Black to replace legacy antivirus, lock down critical systems, hunt threats, and protect their endpoints from the most advanced cyberattacks, including non-malware attacks.
Carbon Black, Inc. is an EEO/AA employer. Carbon Black is an inclusive employer that believes in workplace equality, supports diversity, creates a welcoming environment, and respects the unique qualities each individual brings to the company.