Vox.com is a user’s guide to the news produced by the beat reporters and subject area experts who know it best. We are looking for a writer to help us maintain continuous coverage of the stories that matter most.
The ideal candidate is a generalist at heart with a deep understanding of policy and politics, who does their best work after everyone else goes home.
This is a full-time position that requires a 1pm-9pm ET shift from Wed-Fri and an 8am-4pm ET shift on Saturdays and Sundays, with Mondays and Tuesdays off.
We’re looking for someone with:
- At least three years’ experience reporting and writing
- A background in writing about politics and policy, but also knowledge of and comfort in writing about current events across beats
- An entrepreneurial and independent streak, and the ability to stay motivated in a quiet office
- Excellent news judgment
- Concise and clever headline writing skills
- A demonstrated ability to bring analysis and sharp angles to daily news stories
- A strong understanding of the fast speed of web journalism and the importance of careful editing. In other words: clean and fast.
- SEO and social media savvy
- An affinity for evening and weekend news shows, and the ability to find and share the nuggets from these programs that add important context and clarity to current events.
- Cover breaking and spot news during off hours. This means jumping on late-breaking news or stories that are intentionally released after many journalists are off the clock. It requires following the news of the day so you can understand the updates that come at night.
- Occasional enterprise work
To apply, please submit a résumé, a cover letter, and a list of the most important stories on the day of your submission, and a brief description of how you might tackle them.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.