GitHub is looking for an Engineer to join a growing team focused on building and extending services and distributed systems within the Platform group.
The Platform Engineering group is primarily responsible for building a resilient, highly available platform for internal developers and integrators to add value for GitHub users.
The Engineering organization is highly distributed and the right candidate can thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication. We expect you to have strong written communication skills and be able to create working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
- Scale our applications across multiple regions.
- Increasing fault-tolerance across all systems.
- Exploring the technical tradeoffs of every decision.
- Clearly define ideas and recommendations, and execute them.
- Coordinating work with engineering teams across the stack.
- Writing and reviewing application code.
- Influencing technical direction of the project.
- Experience with Git and GitHub.
- Experience building and scaling distributed, highly available systems.
- Experience recovering from and preventing availability incidents.
- Real-world experience building distributed systems including:
- Relational and non-relational data stores
- Message queues
- Multi-datacenter deployments
- Knowledge of best practices: monitoring, alerting, metrics, capacity planning, and automation.
- Broad experience across multiple dynamic and typed languages.
- Experience building or extracting micro-services.
- Experience with Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
- Able to communicate cross-functionally and drive engineering efforts.
GitHub is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from people of color and other groups currently underrepresented in tech. We are looking for candidates who:
- Display a strong commitment to building an inclusive tech environment
- Have demonstrated resilience and resourcefulness both in and outside of the workplace
- Can bring a new perspective based on unique educational, professional, and lived experiences
- Can effectively communicate with people from disparate backgrounds
- Have experience mentoring/coaching/teaching, particularly in environments with diverse students/participants
WHO WE ARE
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over ten million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com, our desktop and mobile apps, and GitHub Enterprise, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write better code, faster.
We have a lot of exciting things to do, and we’re looking for the right people to grow with us!
WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN
Working at GitHub is, to put it simply, a special slice of the universe. We're committed to transparency, collaboration, experimentation, and always staying classy.
Because of this unique perspective, we've established one of the most flexible and well designed physical workspaces around that encourages you to work as you work best. Right now, over 60% of our employees are based outside of our San Francisco (SOMA) headquarters and work according to how they get their best stuff done.
Ensuring that GitHubbers are healthy, motivated, focused and creative is how GitHub stays awesome. Part of this is ensuring that our benefits* are out of this world.
In a nutshell, we've built and are growing a place where we truly love working, and we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people with many different backgrounds and lifestyles, and we like it that way. We invite applications from people of all stripes. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences that people imagine to discriminate against one another. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's anything we can do to make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate.
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask your recruiter!