Manager, Research & Analytics
The Manager, Research & Analytics supports the AWEA analytic agenda through federal and state policy research, electric sector analysis, data collection and management, and market modeling. This position will use broad research methods, data analysis technologies, AWEA member contacts, and smart database management to collect, maintain, and analyze industry statistical information. The position will inform strategic planning and drive member value through the development of tools, data models, and dashboards. The position also will support the team in maintaining a fluent awareness of market trends and commercial activities. Finally, the role will use quantitative methods to evaluate the impact of potential and existing policies on the industry.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
Data Management and Quantitative Analysis
- Leverage data analysis technologies and data science techniques to collect, organize, store, and analyze data and information
- Develop, maintain, and enhance database systems, processes, and reporting interfaces. Support the ongoing development of WindIQ and the back-office SQL database supporting the application
- Build tools, data models, and dashboards to support strategic decision-making and drive member value
- Support AWEA’s electricity market modeling efforts. Build and leverage quantitative models to evaluate the impact of policies and regulations on wind deployment and operation
- Conduct market trend analyses and identify new sources of data collection that will inform and support Association decision-making Policy Analysis, Expertise, and Advocacy
- Support the AWEA analytical agenda through federal and state policy research, market analysis, and advocacy
- Evaluate the impact of potential and existing policies on the industry through research, analysis, member communication, and external stakeholder communication
- Represent the wind industry before members, policy makers, regulators, industry, and the media, serving as both a staff expert for the Government & Public Affairs team and as a public advocate for the industry
- Leverage AWEA data products and analysis to support public proceedings, legislative session, and other association actions in order to advance AWEA strategic objectives.
- Develop and deliver fact sheets, position papers, and blog posts on wind industry policy and market issues Market analysis and statistical information management:
- Support the population and maintenance of AWEA’s WindIQ database, tracking wind-related manufacturing facilities, wind project transactions, wind power purchase agreements, and other key data items.
- Provide technical and development support for the publication, distribution and communication of market assessment reports including the AWEA U.S. Quarterly Wind Industry Market Reports and AWEA U.S. Wind Industry Annual Market Reports.
- Use broad research methods to collect industry information from sources including the Energy Information Administration, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, state utility regulators and AWEA member outreach.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strong quantitative analysis skills. Candidate will routinely work with large, complex datasets.
- Attention to detail and strong data management skills. The ideal candidate must enjoy collecting, curating, and working with large amounts of data.
- Strong understanding of the technical features of the electric industry. Awareness of the major political and regulatory issues and topics impacting the U.S. wind industry a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication, with the ability to tailor information to audiences of varying technical capabilities.
- Technical writing and editing skills. Ability to prioritize and complete a variety of tasks efficiently.
- Ability to use spreadsheet and presentation software, including Excel and PowerPoint. Advanced analytical software skills including Tableau, SQL, R, Python, etc., a must.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
Education and/or Experience AWEA is seeking applicants whom reflect and understand our core values: We HEART Wind Energy, The Truth Prevails, Together We Succeed, and Ahead of the Curve. Qualified applicants may possess any combination of education and experience enabling them to successfully perform the responsibilities of the position. Qualifications are: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in economics, engineering, statistics, computer science, or related field preferred. Seeking candidates with a combination of eight years of experience in policy, advocacy, or research and at least five years of industry specific preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience; with three years of management experience.
To apply: Send how you heard about this job, cover letter, salary requirement, start date availability, and resume to ResearchJobs@awea.org (use “[Your Name]-Manager, Research & Analytics” in subject line) or mail to AWEA, 1501 M Street NW, Suite 900, Washington, DC 20005; Attention: Human Resources.
AWEA is Metro accessible and provides a generous benefit package. To learn more visit www.awea.org. AWEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.