Your role as a Junior DevOps Engineer at Helical Levity will be working with the Lead DevOps Engineer in order to build, deploy and manage infrastructure across the entire platform that incorporates many applications and environments. You will maintain infrastructure that is split across local development environments utilising vagrant, intermediately testing environments utilising ProxmoxVE, and, production environments hosted within AWS. Supporting the PHP developers as well as the security team to ensure the delivery of maintainable and scalable applications infrastructure.
You will strive to provide elegant solutions to complex problems whilst maintaining methodological approaches and best practices.
Much of the team operate remotely but we do have an office in Burford, Oxfordshire. There is the option to work in either environment but we do tend to meet up in Oxford or London to catch up on projects so being within a sensible travel distance of either would be useful.
- Ensuring DevOps practices are adhered to and suggest improvements to processes.
- Automation of cloud server installation and administration.
- Installation, configuration and support of web and application servers, mail and messaging systems and databases.
- Carry out a set of regular checks to confirm all systems are functioning correctly and proactively.
- Working to extend and enhance the DevOps methodology.
- Working alongside the Dev and Security teams to maintain infrastructure that they work in.
- Deploy and oversee on-going operation of infrastructure services and solutions.
- Deploy and configure server infrastructure via configuration management tools and associated toolkits.
- Load testing.
- Vulnerability Scanning.
- Maintaining internal infrastructure (ProxmoxVE, DNS, Vagrant etc.).
- Automating all the things.
- Utilising parts of the Agile methodology in order to plan and prioritise workloads and projects.
- Linux distributions
Core skills required
- Linux management, patching, tuning, diagnostics.
- Shell scripting at a level sufficient enough to write scripts from scratch.
- TCP/IP networking.
- Cyber security best practices.
- Understanding of the DevOps principles.
- Knowledge of fundamental programming principles.
- Sound understanding of web stack concepts such as HTTP, cookies, headers, profiling, and caching.
- You will possess excellent communication skills and will not be afraid to ask questions.
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage your own workload.
- Excellent teamwork ethic.
It would also be highly beneficial if you had any knowledge of the following:
- Cloud services (AWS).
- Infrastructure Automation Tools (salt, cloudformation,).
- Continuous Integration/Delivery Tools (Jenkins).
- DevOps Practices.
- Any programming skills.
Helical Levity is led by world renowned cyber security expert James Lyne and combines a team of world-class security researchers, designers and developers. Together we provide expert cyber security consultancy and build industry leading tools that, amongst other things, help to identify and develop new talent.