The Product Design team at Egencia designs business travel products and services loved by over 8 million users.
Our simple, seamless travel management platform makes it a snap for the world’s largest companies to manage their complex business travel needs. Egencia’s global Product Design team is seeking a Junior Design Researcher who has a passion for travel, can transform hypotheses into insights, can thrive in an iterative research environment, and leads by doing. The work is fascinating, global in nature, and is a unique opportunity for kick-starting a career in product usability research.
ABOUT THE WORK
We are the original disruptors in managed travel. Fifteen years and almost 10 million users later, our design opportunities are increasingly non-liner, with research and data still the core of how we build for travel at scale.
Design Researchers work on the most perplexing issue in design: “What does the user need?” They are responsible for designing, facilitating, analyzing, interpreting, and socializing research initiatives that answer this question in the context of managed business travel.
Researchers at Egencia don’t just run usability studies: they are an integral part of the creative and planning process. Each day is a new investigation into hypotheses, design concepts, and real-time user behaviors. By creating an understanding of and empathy for complex user needs, their insights inspire change, and create competitive advantage for Egencia at all stages of product and service development.
Designer Researchers at Egencia:
- Focus on fast, agile research methods that help quickly prototype, test, analyze, and refine design solutions (RITE, Krug, hallway testing, paper prototyping, remote non-facilitated tools like UserTesting.com).
- Collaborate with designers and product partners to define and measure qualitative UX goals and metrics, and determine the proper research methodology for a given task.
- Design, recruit for, schedule, and facilitate usability testing for a wide range of designs at varying phases of development.
- Analyze research results and translate insights into lightweight reporting that is convincing, concise, and actionable for both research experts and non-experts.
- Serve as advocate for users, usability, and research across the full organization.
Culture is paramount. We like big thinkers with small egos. We value creativity, and we invest in individual growth. We work through issues as a team to design globally, and we embrace research and learning over trying to ‘ship perfect.’
Design Researcher requirements:
- 1+ years of experience in design or user research.
- Motivated to understand people, and their behaviors, attitudes, and motivators.
- Practical experience with iterative research (ex: RITE method).
- Thorough, and process minded; able to act independently and manage multiple studies.
- Curious, driven by experimentation, grounded in cognitive sciences.
- Understand user interface design principles and usability for standard platforms (web, native mobile, wearables).
- Outgoing, persuasive personality; able to influence user-centered decision-making.
- Hands-on test management experience (lab, ethnographic, contextual inquiry; not including survey).
- Good oral and written communication skills; able to distill and present research insights to others.
- Experience recording user tests and editing videos for reports.
- Comfortable working across cultures, languages, and timezones.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, HCI, Statistics, Psychology, Design, or related field, or equivalent practical experience.
In addition to all of the perks that come with being a big company, we also practice what we preach when it comes to shipping global products. Norway, France, London, India, Chicago and Seattle are just some of the places your work can take you to learn from our users. We also offer leisure travel benefits, personal wellness and health equipment benefits, company sponsored events, and a culture of fun, support, and personal growth.
Relocation available within the US. Egencia is not currently sponsoring work visas for this position.
Egencia, the business travel division of Expedia, is at the center of revolutionizing business travel. We are one of the fastest growing brands within Expedia, Inc. and in our 12-year history we have grown from a small start-up to become the 5th largest corporate travel management company in the world. We’re defining the future of business travel. If you’re interested in the journey as much as the destination then we have a seat for you. Apply now.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.