Virtual, work-from-home position. Work anywhere in the U.S. Must be a U.S. Resident
We are growing! Become part of an IT team of 14 developers, business analysts, qa engineers, project managers, etc who support a company of 80 team members with industry-leading web applications in areas of continuing education, candidate screening, and much more.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Our meetings are filled with sarcasm, laughter, and movie quotes. We share code on github whenever able and we try to contribute back to the open source community, on whose shoulders we stand. Though we are virtual, we communicate a lot and have a tight-knit group. We don’t pair a lot, but we collaborate daily. We are proud of the work we do and the company we represent.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking a knowledgeable Senior/Intermediate PHP developer with experience in an Enterprise environment who is motivated, creative, and fun, to develop and maintain Enterprise-class web applications.
- Full-Time, 8a-5p in your time zone
- Work from your home office
- Company-provided MacBook Pro, Internet connection, etc
- Must be located in the United States and be legally eligible to work for us
- Travel is required for an annual company meeting, and may be required once or twice per year for team or project meetings.
- In collaboration with other developers, determine effective programming architectures, development strategies, and infrastructure choices to achieve business goals and satisfy stakeholder requirements
- Plan, code, unit test, and deploy major projects, features, and applications
- Troubleshoot major applications; determine appropriate solutions, mitigation plans, and bug fixes.
- Build complex applications using best-practice development methodologies, design patterns, simple functions, and solid OOP foundational design
- Produce maintainable, documented, and highly-readable code every time [http://goo.gl/Kp3W3]
- Contribute to best-practice development methodologies in CakePHP and potentially other MVC frameworks (Laravel, Symfony, etc.)
- Mentor Junior Developers by monitoring their approach to problem solving, testing and adherence to coding standards
- Perform code review on commits from contributing developers to audit the work, and ensure developer adherence to coding standards and established best-practices
We prefer a great/interested/excited programmer with less experience to an unmotivated or unengaged programmer with tons of experience.
Submit a cover letter with your resume that includes why you would make a great addition to our team, a link to your favorite movie clip on YouTube, and your salary requirements. Submissions without this information will not be considered.
Self-management and time management are critical in this role. Without it, you will not be successful. Other requirements include:
- Passionate about development in an Enterprise environment and a track record of developing stable, foundational code and applications.
- CakePHP experience is preferred, but expert knowledge with any of the big MVC frameworks and ability to shift between frameworks will suffice.
- A communication professional – must be able to explain technical issues to a non-technical person, pleasantly (we are always on Skype with stakeholders)
- Understand the difference between start-ups (which we are not) and mid-sized companies (which we are), and the technological challenges that mid-sized companies face.
- Highly-attentive to detail and able to cross all the t's and dot all the i's every time.
- There is direct project oversight, but you are expected to take ownership of your work and your projects, establish deadlines, and communicate progress proactively
- Eager to research and learn in a self-directed way to keep an eye on the major players in the industry (always improving)
- Easygoing, fun, and a team player – must be able to comprehend highly-advanced forms of sarcasm
- Experience in the health care or online education industry
- 2+ years of CakePHP 2.x experience
- Experience with clustered LEMP stack
- An active github (or similar) account with code you’re proud of to share
- Working knowledge of xkcd comic strip or similar, is useful -- but not required
We are fast-paced, nimble, and laugh a lot. We all work from home offices in various locations across the country. We are dynamic, engaged, highly motivated and highly skilled. We are passionate about our work and our professions.