What We Are Looking For/What You Will Be Doing
We are looking for an experienced full-stack Microsoft developer who is interested in becoming a full-time remote employee with occasional visits to our home office in Davis, California. If you are hired, you will be spending the first week (or possibly two) onsite in Davis, California to become acclimated with our processes, get your laptop, and meet the people you will be working with. We don’t have a set requirement for periodic onsite visits, and this can be discussed during the hiring process.
The development team consists of local developers and remote developers. Many of our consultants and representatives (Veterinarians or Veterinary Technicians) are remote as well, and you will be collaborating with them daily.
We are primarily an ASP.NET/C# Web Forms shop, with some legacy Perl and ASP code, but we are slowly making the transition to ASP.NET/C# MVC and Angular when it makes sense to do so (i.e. expect to be coding in Web Forms initially with the opportunity to work with MVC in the future).
Some of the tools that we use are Visual Studio 2017, Microsoft TFS/Git 2015, SQL Server 2008 (a major upgrade is in the works), Slack, and Redgate’s SQL Prompt and SQL Source Control.
It is important to note that VIN is mostly a flat development organization. You will have a development manager, but expect to be interacting with our fearless leader, Paul, one of the co-founders of VIN.
This can’t be stressed enough: you will need to have excellent communication skills (both verbal and written), be self-motivated, and have a high-speed and reliable internet connection. You are the type of person that follows up on requests, doesn’t let things slip through the cracks, you have a knack for attention to detail and, above all, is a team player.
- Previous full-time remote work experience would be nice to have.
- 10+ years of software development experience with the Microsoft technology stack.
- 5+ years of experience as a full-stack web developer.
- 5+ years of ASP.NET/C# Web Forms experience.
- 5+ years of ASP.NET/C# MVC experience.
- 5+ years of experience with Microsoft SQL Server, T/SQL, Stored Procedures and familiarity with using SQL Profiler for troubleshooting performance issues.
- 5+ years of experience with HTML, CSS and creating responsive web pages.
- 2+ years of WebApi/C# experience.
- 2+ years of Angular experience.
- Bootstrap 3 experience.
- Nice to haves: Perl, ASP experience (yes, we have some legacy code!).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- A team player who also works well without supervision.
- Expertise with OOP and design patterns (Dependency Injection, Gang of Four, Domain Driven Design, SOLID principles, etc.).
- Proficiency with Git and Git workflows.
- Experience working in an Agile development environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
We don’t want to waste your time, which is why we would like for you to understand our hiring process. You will be notified after each stage if you will be moving forward in the hiring process.
- Complete an online survey where we can sort out things like salary requirements, how you would react in certain situations, etc..
- Complete a brief phone interview with the dev lead (approximately 15 minutes long).
- Complete a brief phone interview with, Paul, our leader and co-founder of VIN (approximately 15-30 minutes long).
- Complete a coding exercise (it is hard to say how long this will take).
- Complete a phone/video interview with the dev team (up to 60 minutes long).
- Complete a pair programming exercise (up to 60 minutes long).
- A competitive salary.
- Access to Pluralsight to further your technical prowess.
- VIN pays 100% of employee-only company sponsored health insurance premiums, including medical, dental, and vision.
- Currently, through a third-party administrator, VIN reimburses 100% of VIN sponsored employee-only medical deductible-only expenses – and up to 75% of VIN sponsored dependent medical deductible-only expenses.
- 401k eligibility begins on the 91st day of full-time employment: there is a dollar for dollar match, of VIN earnings, up to 6% per pay period (e.g., if the employee contributes 1%, the match is 1%).
- PTO accrues from date of hire, but is not eligible to be used until the 91st day of full-time employment. Sick time accrues at 2.33 hours per pay period, and vacation time accrues at 3.33 hours per pay period, and increases based on tenure.
- 9 paid holidays (you are not eligible for holiday pay within the first two weeks of employment) and 1 paid personal day per year (the personal day does not affect your accrued time, and is gifted at your one-year anniversary). This is in addition to your PTO accrual!
What You Need To Do
Please respond with a copy of your resume and a cover letter. Be creative and tell us why you would be the perfect candidate for this position. If we like what we see, you will be receiving an email questionnaire to kick things off.
If you are a consulting agency, please do not submit your candidates to us, they will be ignored.
Thank you for your interest in Veterinary Information Network!
The Veterinary Information Network, Inc., founded in 1991, is the veterinary profession's premier online resource, providing veterinarians, veterinary students, and the veterinary industry with the information and tools they need to address the demands of modern veterinary practice. VIN - for veterinarians, by veterinarians - unites more than 58,000 veterinarians, veterinary students and veterinary industry partners in a truly interactive worldwide online community. Among its many offerings, VIN provides its members unlimited access to a large medical database, active and expert-moderated case and professional issue discussions, practice management information, and online continuing education courses.