Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
Who you are:
We’re looking for an enthusiastic, talented front end engineer to join our learning platform team and help build software to take our students’ education experience to the next level. You’ll be responsible for spearheading the development of a variety of user interfaces, from dashboards and visualisations, to interactive code editors. You’ll also be a key part of a fantastic cross-functional team of engineers, designers and product managers making a meaningful impact to the student experience. You’ll have:
- 3+ years of experience as a front-end engineer
- Understanding of REST API design and communication best practices
- Strategies to implement automated user interface feature and unit testing
- Opinions on designing high quality, responsive, performant and cross-platform user experiences
You may also have:
- Practical knowledge of an MVC framework such as Ruby on Rails
- Some experience with Heroku, Amazon Web Services and Docker
- Contributed to a living styleguide that crosses product boundaries
- Worked with remote engineers and across time zones using communication, planning and related tools like Slack, Jira and GitHub
What we build:
We are organized into small cross-functional product teams (a PM, a designer, a few devs) that focus on growing a single product from glimmer to gamechanger. Each team is free to determine their own tools & process. What are these teams working on?
- Data & systems that support our global campus business – https://generalassemb.ly/locations
- Evolving large applications into an ecosystem of microservices
- Innovative online education experiences for consumer & enterprise users – https://generalassemb.ly/education/web-design-circuit
- Platforms to connect our community of students & alumni – https://profiles.generalassemb.ly
- Internal tools supporting every part of our organization
What it’s like to be on the team:
- We use GitHub for code review, Code Climate and Semaphore to keep entropy at bay, and Heroku to focus on building things
- We favor trying new things over fear of mistakes
- We are anti-dogmatic: use whatever code editor you like, pair-program when you like
- We try to seek a balance between sticking with what works and fearlessly exploring the new
- We are always learning, always teachingI’m un
- We are passionate about writing good code
- We apologize for and learn from our mistakes
- We have worked hard to build a culture of trust, continual improvement, and mutual support
We <3 remotes!
Even though GA is headquartered in New York City, more than half of our engineering team is not. We remote in from little towns and big cities from California to the Netherlands. And even our New York devs spend the odd day working from home or elsewhere.
We are serious about making remote collaboration work, with tools like Slack, Zoom/Hangouts, JIRA/Confluence, and Screenhero are a big part of our daily lives.
Four times a year, we fly the whole engineering team to New York for a few days of workshops, lightning talks, urban adventures, and an epic hackathon.
Position is full-time with competitive salary, stock options and great benefits. NYC only. Benefits include: 401k, iPhone + cell plan, Macbook + 27″ monitor, medical + dental + vision insurance, MTA transit credit and 50% discounted gym membership (in NYC).