Founded in 2012, Student Loan Hero (https://studentloanhero.com) is on a mission to help 44 million people manage and repay over $1.4 trillion in student loan debt.
Student Loan Hero combines financial education with easy-to-use tools, unbiased personalized advice, and repayment plans to help student loan borrowers become financially healthy.
What does the Editorial Assistant do?
This role is an excellent opportunity to kick off your career in digital publishing.
Our team of writers, editors, and content producers publish across a variety of platforms, including our blog, expert columns, email, and ebooks, to name a few. The Editorial Assistant has a hand in all aspects of the publishing process and is key to helping our team publish efficiently by providing both administrative and editorial support.
The ideal candidate for this position has a sharp eye for detail, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and an entrepreneurial mindset. The Editorial Assistant isn’t afraid to jump in and lend a hand wherever it’s needed — and do so with impressive accuracy.
This role provides assistance in the following areas:
- Maintaining our editorial calendar and ensuring it remains organized/accurate
- Creating posts and managing workflows in our content management system
- Performing research for individual blog posts and larger content projects
- Publishing our content on partner sites
- Making sure our checklists, training guides, and other important internal documents are up-to-date; creating new documentation as needed
- Coordinating, scheduling, and taking notes during team meetings
- Sourcing images and light graphic design work
- Light writing, editing, and fact-checking duties as needed
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members all over the world, in cities including NYC, Austin, Portland, Santiago, and St. Petersburg.
Since we’re located all over the world, communication using Slack, Gmail, Basecamp, Google Hangouts, and other tools is key for us. Don’t worry—you won’t be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
As a growing company, most team members get to wear multiple hats, giving you tremendous learning and development opportunities. We believe in giving our team members autonomy to work on projects that interest them. Also, we place value on the output of each team member, and not simply the amount of facetime or hours you spend online.
A large part of our culture and values is transparency – we believe that team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
At the same time, we like to make work as much fun as possible and “embrace the weird” about ourselves. We encourage our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational stipends, as well as several other great perks.
Above all, we’re proud to work on meaningful projects that impact the financial health of millions of people.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree required (focus in English, Journalism, or Media Studies preferred)
- 1-2 years of experience in an editorial and/or administrative support role, including internships, schools newspapers, and other relevant college experience.
- Self-starter with the ability and desire to work under limited supervision
- Excellent reading and writing ability
- Strong proofreading skills and extensive knowledge of grammar and punctuation required.
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong time management skills and the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Competitive salary: Based on experience and location.
- Equity: We’ll give you vested shares in the company.
- Vacation: Unlimited.
- Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive.
- Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world. (Costa Rica, anyone?)
- New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a brand new MacBook Pro, and a $1,000 technology stipend to purchase a desk or whatever helps you work.
- Remote workspace: We’ll pay up to $500/month for a remote office space (e.g., co-working space).
- Wellness: We cover 100% of premiums for employees and dependents on a silver-level health insurance plan, plus you get up to $150/month for gym, fitness classes, nutrition counseling, weight loss programs, nutritious food delivery service, acupuncture, massages, workout equipment, or race registrations.
- Continuing education: Up to $100/month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn!
- Financial contribution: Receive a 100% match of up to 3% of annual salary to a retirement account, as well as a 100% match of up to $2,000 toward student loan repayment assistance.