The Congressional Budget Office is a small nonpartisan agency that provides economic and budgetary analysis to the Congress. The Office of Communications seeks a front-end web developer to serve as a systems administrator for CBO’s public website and a driver of innovative digital solutions.
The Office of Communications supports CBO’s mission by developing, executing, and managing successful digital strategies. The web developer will provide technical expertise to ensure seamless day-to-day operations and will develop tactical and strategic improvements to CBO’s digital presence. This is a midlevel position requiring an experienced person who can shift seamlessly between producing well-documented code, upgrading Drupal, writing valid CSS3, designing user interfaces, and effectively integrating interactive media projects into CBO’s website.
The web developer’s responsibilities will be to:
- Develop new functionality, in line with CBO’s mobile-first approach, that makes the agency’s work more accessible and interactive while providing optimal user experience.
- Serve as a technical expert for all digital projects, ensuring that new capabilities are compatible with CBO’s content management system (Drupal) and can be effectively integrated into the website.
- Modify existing code bases, add or configure new Drupal modules, and create custom modules or applications as needed to implement digital enhancements.
- Be proactive in monitoring CBO’s cloud-hosted servers and conducting regular reviews to ensure that CBO is receiving the maximum benefit from its external infrastructure.
- Manage relationships with external contractors, serving as a day-to-day point of contact.
Qualifications Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree and at least five years of experience maintaining websites; that experience must include experience working with Drupal. An additional four years of related experience may be used in lieu of a bachelor’s degree, for a total of nine years of experience.
In addition, applicants must:
- Be experienced at working with open-source web platforms.
- Be experienced with maintaining a central repository (for example, Git) for managing and documenting a code base.
- Have strong project management skills and experience overseeing projects from beginning to end. · Have experience with mobile-first or adaptive design principles and with translating them into fluid and responsive templates.
- Have a working knowledge of XML, JSON, and SVG.
- Be comfortable managing a diverse technology platform.
Experience working with managed cloud hosting; with client-side presentation libraries, such as D3, TauCharts, or Chartlist; and with SharePoint is strongly preferred. Experience with using and customizing Apache Lucene/Solr, including fielded searches and customized indexing, is preferred; so is experience with developing user interfaces for websites that publish large quantities of text, graphs, and other data visualizations. An active interest in the future of online publishing is desirable.
NOTE: Although employees may work from home occasionally, this is not a telework position.
Salary and Benefits Salaries at CBO are competitive with those at other organizations and are commensurate with experience, education, and other qualifications. CBO offers excellent benefits and an appealing work environment.
Contact Nancy Fahey, Washington, DC, 20515, 202-226-2628, email@example.com
CBO is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/V/D