Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
What we are looking for:
We are looking for a talented & creative DevOps engineer to join our team and own the deployment, telemetry and reliability of our systems.
- You have 3-5 years as a Systems Engineer or DevOps Engineer
- You have supported telemetry solutions (logging, monitoring and alerting) in a distributed environment that leverages multiple tech stacks
- You have experience setting and enforcing uptime & SLA standards across many teams
- You have experience working with a variety of languages, with a strong grasp of their pros & cons
- You have experience with SaaS APIs (Github, JIRA, SFDC, etc.) with Python and REST API skills.
- Experience with identity (SAML/LDAP)
- “Infrastructure as code” is deeply ingrained into your soul
- You’re a kind & respectful person, invested in contributing to a wonderful team culture
- You are occasionally enthusiastic to the point of being profoundly uncool
- You get insanely excited by at least 1 thing that has absolutely nothing to do with computers
Some other things that would be really nice to have …
- Experience managing vulnerability assessments or penetration testing
- Working knowledge of enterprise networking (PSEC, RADIUS, TCP/IP)
- Familiar with how to orchestrate multi-system deployments in a fault tolerant fashion
What we build:
We are organized into small cross-functional product teams (a PM, a designer, a few devs) that focus on growing a single product from glimmer to game-changer. Each team is free to determine their own tools & process. What are these teams working on?
- Data & systems that support our global campus business – https://generalassemb.ly/locations
- Evolving large applications into an ecosystem of microservices
- Innovative online education experiences for consumer & enterprise users – https://generalassemb.ly/education/web-design-circuit
- Platforms to connect our community of students & alumni – http://profiles.generalassemb.ly
- Internal tools supporting every part of our organization
What it’s like to be on the team:
- We use GitHub for code review, Code Climate and Semaphore to keep entropy at bay, and Heroku to focus on building things
- We favor trying new things over fear of mistakes
- We are anti-dogmatic: use whatever code editor you like, pair-program when you like
- We try to seek a balance between sticking with what works and fearlessly exploring the new
- We are always learning, always teaching
- We are passionate about writing good code
- We apologize for and learn from our mistakes. We foster a culture of support and learning instead of embarrassment and shame
- We have worked hard to build a culture of trust, continual improvement, and mutual support
We <3 remotes!
Even though GA is headquartered in New York City, more than half of our engineering team is not. We remote in from little towns and big cities from California to the Netherlands. And even our New York devs spend the odd day working from home or elsewhere.
We are serious about making remote collaboration work, with tools like Slack, Zoom/Hangouts, JIRA/Confluence, and Screenhero are a big part of our daily lives.
We fly the whole engineering team to New York for a few days at least twice a year of workshops, lightning talks, urban adventures and an epic hackathon.
Position is full-time with competitive salary, stock options and great benefits. Benefits include:
All locations: 401k or equivalent, Apple Macbook Pro with external monitor.
USA only: Medical + dental + vision insurance, parental leave, Apple iPhone with cell plan.