Vox.com is a user’s guide to the news produced by the beat reporters and subject area experts who know it best. We want to create the single best resource for news consumers, and we need an experienced copy editor to help us get there.
The ideal candidate is someone with high-level copy and line editing experience and a background or strong interest in politics and policy coverage.
Please note that this full-time position requires a 1pm-9pm ET shift M-F.
We’re looking for someone with:
- A minimum of four years’ editing experience
- A grammar obsession! Someone with an eagle eye for detail who relishes finding and fixing typos, punctuation errors, and other common copy mistakes
- Knowledge of the ins and outs of US policy and politics
- Fact-checking experience
- Knowledge of AP style
- Strong organizational skills and experience juggling a number of different assignments at once
- Comfort working independently on stories across a wide range of subjects and formats
- A strong understanding of the fast speed of web journalism and the importance of careful editing, as well as ideas for how to balance those competing imperatives
- SEO and social media savvy
- Work with copy team to copy edit daily stories, data projects, longform features, and other content across a variety of beats
- Help facilitate the flow of stories from draft to published article, ensuring consistency, clarity, and accuracy standards are maintained across all content
- Help build and maintain Vox style guides
- Work with editors and writers to ensure stories convey information to readers cleanly, clearly, and accurately
- Collaborate with social team on packaging stories for maximum impact
- Line-edit news stories (during evening hours)
To apply, please submit a résumé, a cover letter, and a brief (1-2 paragraph) description of how as a Vox copy editor you would train staffers to deliver cleaner copy.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.