Khan Academy is looking for a passionate Community Liaison to help change education – join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. This is currently a part-time (20 hours a week) position, with the potential to fluctuate upwards if needed.
As Community Liaison, you’ll be Khan Academy’s strongest link between our organization, and our amazing learner communities – including the dedicated volunteers who support them. You’ll be responsible for managing and growing our current volunteer programs, making sure that learners around the world have the resources they need to use Khan Academy effectively. This is an incredible opportunity for an experienced community-builder to have an impact on global educational access while working with what legitimately might be the most supportive community on the internet.
- Manage our current learner-focused volunteer programs, primarily the Support Advocate (active in the support community) and Guardian (responsible for moderating site comments) programs
- Recruit, onboard, and regularly engage volunteers to ensure morale stays high and program goals are being met
- Improve program structures, documentation, and processes
- Stay up-to-date on community happenings, especially in more socially active areas of the site, proactively addressing potentially problematic situations
- Act as the primary point of contact between the Khan Academy learner community + volunteers, and Khan Academy as an organization
- Escalate user sentiment, trends, and situations as needed, and advocate for community interests internally
- Handle user reports of inappropriate behavior as needed
- 1-3+ years professional experience in online communities, including managing and growing advocate/moderator / ambassador programs. You keep up-to-date with the latest in community management best practices and know how to problem-solve your way out of the thorniest online conflicts.
- Excellent written communication, which you can adapt for a variety of online audiences
- Comfort working both autonomously and within a defined structure. This role will have many opportunities for you to leave your personal mark on it, and someone excited about working without a lot of restrictions will be able to have a big impact.
- Ability to own a problem or goal, identify the path to success, and execute on it. You’re able to manage a number of projects and responsibilities within the timeline you’ve set for yourself.
- A passion for online communities, educational access, and volunteer programs
- Strong fluency in memes, internet trends, gifs, and/or dad jokes
Nice to have
- Prior experience working or volunteering in education environments, whether in the classroom, edtech, or elsewhere
- Already an active Khan Academy user well-versed in the language of our product. How many sun badges have you earned?
- Experience managing online communities with younger users