The Genius engineering team builds and maintains a website and apps that are used by 75 million people every month. The majority of the content—lyrics, annotations, and metadata—is crowdsourced by an engaged group of contributors using a complex and ever evolving technical platform.
Genius is looking for a Android Engineer to architect and implement new features on Android. We’re looking for makers with a sophisticated code sense: folks who’ve built cool things, but who can also maintain and scale those things, and who feel at home deep in the guts of a library.
The best candidates will have professional experience on an Android app serving a large volume of users, will be proficient with Java, and have some experience with the core technologies we use (Data Binding, Realm, Retrofit).
- Build and maintain application features, working with core libraries and frameworks including Realm, Data Binding, and Retrofit
- Create reliable, crash-free releases on a repeatable and regular schedule
- Work closely with the full stack team to build features based on our API, and to plan for future API improvements
- Work closely with the product team to define feature specifications and craft unique & beautiful user experiences
- At least 2 years professional Android development experience
- Proficiency with Java
- Knowledge of, and passion for mobile app best practices
- Have personally published or worked on at least one application on the Google Play Store
- Interest in, or experience with developing in Kotlin
Some example projects to help you demonstrate your interest in the kind of work we do at Genius include, but are far from limited to:
- Build a system which fetches data and stores it in the database of your choice (Realm is preferred)
- Create a layout which scales across a wide range of devices
- Write a fragment using RecyclerViews, Adapters and Data Binding
- Make a home screen widget which displays the currently playing song
- Write an app that fetches remote data (use of frameworks such as OkHttp and / or Retrofit are encouraged)